Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

Drew Wiley

Re: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

There's a better antidote, Bernice, in fact a couple of better antidotes, and they can be hung on the wall too. They're called Watkins and Muybridge. Or maybe you'd prefer a cartoon of the Valley from the famous parking lot vista at the end of the tunnel, with ladder rungs up the side of El Capitan, a satellite dish on the summit, and a label on it on stating, Mt Winnebago.
    I always identified the two curses of Yosemite travel as being the mosquito and the motorhome : one makes you travel a lot faster, the other a lot slower.

How about going to Dizzyland and shooting from the Kodak moment picture spots??? Nothing like affirmation you will get the best picture (like everyone else)... Can't loose...

No matter where, we just have to see with a fresh eye of our own... Don't copy... 10 people can be standing on the end of Santa Monica pier with a camera (device), and there will be 10 different pictures of the sunset... There will be selfies, but Hoppe, Coburn, or Stiglitz could be seeing and thinking there...

As for clichés, if you shot where many pictures have been made, one could strive to "see" personally where many others have stood or shot, and make a personal statement, and surprise the hell out of others... And because the view is familiar, there will be a connection from those who have been there...

Good exercise...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    It's a reflex... This painting comes to mind each and every time Yosemite & AA comes up:
    ...Bernice
    I had forgotten that! But I grew up camping every year in the Valley or up at Tuolumne...I still remember getting lost in the campground returning from seeing the Firefall. A city kid -- a far cry from old Drew. My Aunt, who almost made it to 100, remembers riding the train to El Portal. Later, I had a friend living in the Valley who liked visitors, so I had a place to stay, even with my boys, tho the 3 of three of them climbing the rock behind his place while wearing their roller skates made him nervous for some reason.

So if one has a positive history with a place, it grows on you. Not that all is always cool...the new version of the Firefall has become a mob scene at a time of year when the Valley was once quiet. So it goes.

Abbey called the National Parks, National Sacrificial Parks, or something along those lines -- give the tourists a place to go to so the rest is left alone.

Another damn Yosemite picture...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ValleyTour.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Yep, the "Green Dragon" tourist train. After dark it would stop alongside El Cap so the tourists could see the little dots of light of climber headlamps. My nephew would always take along a spare lamp or two, and then when the train of tourists appeared, throw a lamp off from wherever he happened to be on the cliff, let out a loud scream, and give them their money's worth.

Haha Bernice that's great. I was very interested in Mark Tansey in the 90s and had a book on his work, but did not know that painting.

Here is a Yosemite photograph that shows there's always a new way to look at things, "One and a Half Domes" by Ted Orland, https://shop.anseladams.com/products...domes-yosemite

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ted_orland_one_and_a_half_dome.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	204015

I think Tuolumne Meadows was the place where I as an east coast kid first understood both the grandeur of Western mountains, and the axiom that even in a crowded place, you can get away from nearly everybody once you're 30 minutes from the trailhead.

I would list Wyoming, but I'm sure the entire state doesn't resemble Grand Teton National Park, which we visited last fall. I was in awe of the Tetons. Sadly, I did not have my view camera on that trip, as we flew and I didn't want to deal with all the extra equipment, tripod, film holders, etc. All I had was my Fuji digital camera. I saw scenes that cried out for large format. I want to return some day with my "big" camera.

Quote Originally Posted by reddesert View Post
    ... "One and a Half Domes" by Ted Orland
    I think Tuolumne Meadows was the place where I as an east coast kid first understood both the grandeur of Western mountains, and the axiom that even in a crowded place, you can get away from nearly everybody once you're 30 minutes from the trailhead.
    Working at the Grand Canyon and living on the Rim (1977), I found places where I could hang out. One place was 20 or so feet below the rim, a hollowed out bit of the canyon wall, deep enough to keep out of any rain or snow -- and deep enough if kids start tossing rocks from above. Incredible view.

Ted -- someone who photographed extensively in the Valley in a unique way. My photo above may have never been taken without the introduction to Mr. Orland. And perhaps even the one here -- well, more the title than the image...the image called out to be made. Backpacking and camping on the top of Sentinel Dome for a night with this map inserted into a rock. Taken in the morning...my friend and I were not early risers...nice leisurely morning with Yosemite Falls booming from across the Valley. Then a long day of hiking -- over to Glacier Point, then down the Four-Mile Trail (still officially closed for winter) and hoof it over to the Village. A Memorial Day 25 years ago...maybe 30.

Edited to add: On second thought, I do not think I would have trimmed the top of the print in such a manner without Ted's trail-blazing departure from the path.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mistaking the Map for the Territory, YNP_16x20.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Ben - Thank goodness most of Wyoming doesn't resemble Grand Teton or Yellowstone NP's, at least in peak tourist season. There are equally dramatic areas with very few people; but they won't let you in without a view camera!

Ray Van Nes

Yes, a small connection with our mutual connection with Clyde McConnell, your prof and my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Ben - Thank goodness most of Wyoming doesn't resemble Grand Teton or Yellowstone NP's, at least in peak tourist season. There are equally dramatic areas with very few people; but they won't let you in without a view camera!
    I now kick myself for not bringing my Wista, which, in hindsight, would not have been that much of a hassle. TSA might have mistaken my Pentax spot meter for a gun, though. And I could have mailed my film to avoid x-ray damage, although I don’t think the xrays at the screening areas do any harm.