Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

Re: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    You know, Drew keeps trying to convince me about how wild Californy is, but between Wynn Bullock and the latest 5x7 you posted over on Phototrio, I'm starting to believe that all the entrances to your state parks are choked with lithe young women in various states of dishabille milling about in the parking lot like Guatemalan landscapers outside Home Depot.
    You sound as if this all is a bad thing........
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidFisk View Post
    You sound as if this all is a bad thing........
    Of course, one complication is that the models would become more knowledgeable than most of the 'togs in pretty short order. ("FP4+ and you're shooting it at what?! Hey, Kaylee! Check out what this guy says his EI is.") The whole scene would feel like just another episode of The Benny Hill Show, and quite frankly, most of us can get that at home.

Drew Wiley

If you're all that interested in mixing with the social set up on the Mendocino coast of NorCal, I'd recommend a very scholarly documentary movie on the subject titled, Home Grown. It's narrated by Billy Bob Thornton and contains quite a bit of botanical detail on the kind of vegetation one encounters in the redwoods. Should have been part of the PBS Nature series with David Attenborough instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    It's narrated by Billy Bob Thornton
    Ha, coals to Newcastle I'm afraid--the Kiamichi/Ouachita NF back home (as well as the Talladega NF I kicked around in while in Alabama) had their share of grow-sites. FWIW, Billy Bob is a local boy made good (however loosely defined.)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Do you actually live there, and in the winter too?
    The thing that sticks in my mind is the big snow drifts when we’d drive through Wyoming on our way to Montana when I was a kid. Oh and the occasional house with the roof collapsed. Just back from Utah, very close to Wyoming, had to get out my old backpacking tent after the big tent suffered bent tent poles due to high winds from thunder shower activity, with heavy rain and some hail. Only reason the tent didn’t complete collapse and blow away is because I was in it holding it up.

Roger

Drew Wiley

One time I got stuck in a wind tunnel below one of the main glacier fields at the roof of Wyoming in the Wind River Range. Glad it was my Bilbler mountaineering tent. I stayed dry and cozy, and even slept well through the howling wind. But when I got back down to trail level, there were various tents in disgraceful condition with some miserable hikers. I've had more than my own share of indoor swimming pools, collapses of lesser products, and once a tent that outright shattered after receiving a thick coat of ice rime. But knowing all that, I took a considerably lighter tent to Wyoming last yr. I'm getting old and lazy, and now try to camp a bit lower. But the original Bibler I-tent is famous for holding up in extreme conditions, and has never collapsed or leaked on me.

Not a State, but Argentina has it all: from the tropical rain forests to lonely beaches at the ocean, deserts, salt plains, pampa, highest mountains, 400 km of glaciers, to the Antartica with penguins, sea lions, and whales. Absolutely amazing country and the living quality is fantastic. I go there every year with my wife, who is from there.

Hmm, in my humble opinion, TOP-3 are: Alaska, Hawaii and probable California.

The West is the Best...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

California for the variety.