Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

Re: Which State is the Best State for Landscape Photographers to Live?

The Flagstaff area was always attractive to me -- use to drive down there from the Grand Canyon to get my 120 film developed (B&W and some transparencies). And Northern Arizona University sounded cool. Living 4.5 months up on the Rim was wonderful, but I do need to be closer to water...and it is either a hike straight down too far to water too cold to swim in, or drive down to Sedona and swim with the tourists in the great yellow river.

I like being on the northern CA coast...and some places do not have a high cost of living. This county has less people that many cities, and I live far enough away from the main concentration of people living around the Bay. Small town of 1350, weathering the virus okay, but the owner of the bar next door (est 1899) is having it tough and is looking to sell, if she can. The brewery in town probably is not having it easy...but recently bought by a local tribe. It might be able to survive easier with the deeper pockets of the tribe. Generally we are looking out for each other. And that counts a lot when choosing a place to live. I bought one of the worse houses in one of the best cities of California, even the locals had passed it up as a possible rental. I love it, it's home. One can try moving here, but houses are hard to find and if they hit the market, they often never get advertised...and of course the prices are going up.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    New Mexico. a half days drive will get you to some of the most amazing places on the continent.
    Being somewhat pedantic what exactly do you mean by ‘the continent’

There are six ‘continents’ Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia/Oceania, Europe and [the] Americas.

The American continent is 14,000km [8.700 miles] long and comprises 35 countries. Its population is around 1.000 billion and it extends from Boothia Peninsular in Canada to Cape Forward in Chilean Patagonia.

Whereas, the term ‘the continent’ in common parlance refers to Europe with comprises 51 countries and a population of 741 million.

In neither case do I see the validity of the claim that New Mexico is close to some of the most amazing places on the continent.

I think that perhaps you mean "we are so damn close to AZ, Utah and Colorado that a half days drive will get you to some of the most amazing places. "

Regards

Tony
    Last edited by tonyowen; 19-May-2020 at 00:50. Reason: added last sentence

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    Ignoring the US-centric bias of the question...
    Once again moving away from the US-centric bias that pervades this thread...
    Being somewhat pedantic what exactly do you mean by ‘the continent’...
    Tony, I understand those outside the U.S. might view this country unfavorably. I'm not here to argue that they're unjustified in their perspective, and probably agree with most of them. However, this is a U.S.-based forum. The OP's question was not ambiguous; it concerned which of the 50 U.S. states members considers "best" (based on stated criteria) for landscape photographers to live in. Why attempt to drive discussion away from the OP's inquiry? Methinks doing so persistently risks becoming a Welsh analog of "the ugly American."
    Last edited by Sal Santamaura; 19-May-2020 at 09:16.

Ray Van Nes

Southern Alberta which is not a state but province. Everyone thinks only of Banff but there is much much more.
    1. Foothills - tough to photograph as they are more subtle than the mountains but beautiful.
    2. Badlands - We have several areas beside Drumheller, there is Dry Island Buffalo Jump, and Dinosaur Park which is a Unesco site
    3. Writing-On-Stone Park which on the border with the US. Small but spectacular with lots of funky sculptural formations.
    4. Kananaskis Country which is a huge provincial park east of Banff. Free to get in and huge.

Being somewhat pedantic what exactly do you mean by ‘the continent’

Tony
    Being somewhat pedantic...When one is referring to Europe, the word 'Continent' is a proper noun and is capitalized. Therefore, Kirk was quite proper in his use of the word.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Yeah, well we can dream on. Alberta does sound interesting. But I can't even get my driver's license renewed or a passport for awhile with everything closed. i already had to wait 4 months for an appointment, and then all appointments were cancelled until who knows how long, and in-person appts are required for this kind of thing. Drivers licenses will be automatically extended up to a year; but that won't get me into Canada, and there's no guarantee that the officials cards stating an extension will get out within a reasonable time themselves. The Hwy Patrol is simply being informed to overlook somewhat expired state licenses; but that might not work out of state. One more complication. The Southwest is looking more and more tempting for a road trip this fall, but with gas prices so low at the moment... dream on. I'll stop daydreaming tomorrow and be happy to be lugging my camera pack over local hills. There's plenty to see and shoot nearby.

Definitely time to enjoy one's favorite state...mental or otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Yeah, well we can dream on. Alberta does sound interesting. But I can't even get my driver's license renewed or a passport for awhile with everything closed. i already had to wait 4 months for an appointment, and then all appointments were cancelled until who knows how long, and in-person appts are required for this kind of thing. Drivers licenses will be automatically extended up to a year; but that won't get me into Canada, and there's no guarantee that the officials cards stating an extension will get out within a reasonable time themselves. The Hwy Patrol is simply being informed to overlook somewhat expired state licenses; but that might not work out of state. One more complication. The Southwest is looking more and more tempting for a road trip this fall, but with gas prices so low at the moment... dream on. I'll stop daydreaming tomorrow and be happy to be lugging my camera pack over local hills. There's plenty to see and shoot nearby.
    Drew we have spies looking out for the likes of you , trying to get into Canada....

Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Bob - you already let in the weirdest of us. The Queen Charlotte Islands off BC obtained far more hippies than remained in this State, most of whom were netted and taxidermied by the Smithsonian Museum for a 60's diorama a long time ago anyway. I suspect one or two more are hiding out somewhere in the Midwest, probably trying to figure out how to use tie dye as a film developer, or else scheming how to reinvent communes further north.