Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens Aperture vs Meter Reading

Re: Lens Aperture vs Meter Reading

Thanks Brian and Jim; my meters (all tiny digital Sekonics) can only display 1/10 stops.

I wonder is someone can comment on the following exchange with a representative of Sekonic (I added the bolding):

Hi everybody who has followed this thread, I contacted Sekonic and they kindly emailed me back with the following explanation, Explanation of 1/10th numeral on Sekonic L-758

Thank you for your inquiry.
    I am Minoru Oda(Mr) from Sales Operation Sec.
    of light meter in Sekonic Corporation in Japan.

As you already know, the numeral to the right of the aperture value in aperture priority mode is one tenth of the shutter speed.
    If you would like to set this shutter speed into camera, it is better to set closer shutter speed including one tenth of the shutter speed.
    For example, When L-758D is set full step of increments of shutter speed, if the desired F stop is 5.6, and T is indicated as 1/60s, and one tenth of the shutter speed is indicated as 9, it is better to choose 1/125s for suitable shutter speed. Please set f: 5.6 and t:1/125s into your camera.
    Because "5 to 9" of one tenth of the shutter speed is closer to next step of shutter speed than this step of shutter speed.
    Of course, if the desired F stop is 5.6, and T is indicated as 1/60s, and one tenth of the shutter speed is indicated as "0 to 4", it is better to choose 1/60s for suitable shutter speed. Please set f: 5.6 and t:1/60s into your camera.

It was easy to understand it, if one tenth of the shutter speed had been in the right of the shutter speed on the LCD display.
    We would apologize for difficulty of your understanding because of restriction of LCD design.

Does it answer your question?
    If you have any question, please kindly let us know.

Sincerely yours

Minoru Oda
    Sales Operation Sec.

This is the link to the above comment: https://www.ephotozine.com/forums/to...-l-758d-107041

Makes sense, thank you.

I'm going to read the manual fo my L-758 again. This is not as I understood it to be.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

If I read it correctly, he describes simple half-stop rounding of shutter speed. Personally, I’d have the meter display the aperture in tenths, rather than shutter speed, if I needed that level of resolution and adjust the aperture accordingly. But with L-758, just like my L-558, it’s way easier to reconfigure the readout if tenths are not needed.

... but I’m kinda like Jim and often rely on either a Weston III or Gossen Luna-Pro because they are a lot easier to use than the Sekonic... unless 1-degree spot metering is needed.

In accordance with Seconic manual the decimal scale displays in 1/10th of a stop. Not time, not aperture, just a stop. So when Seconic measure 5.6 & 5/10 or 4/10 it will be yours 6.8 aperture. Because 6.7 is 1/2 of a stop down from 5.6. So if you visually divide the distance on the lens aperture scale in 1/2 or 1/3ds and round your Seconic measured tenths of a stop to 1/2, 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop you will be very precise. Let say Seconic indicate aperture 8 & 2/10 of a stop. Divide distance on the lens aperture scale between 8 and 11 on 3 equal parts and place aperture lever near the the 1/3 after 8 and it will be absolutely correct placement.