Thread: Has anyone on here made a book recently with Lulu?

Has anyone on here made a book recently with Lulu?

and if so would you be willing to share anything about the experience?

Re: Has anyone on here made a book recently with Lulu?

tried it. They don't offer a layout service like blurb - you've got to have Indesign and ouput to a pdf with their specs. It was quick and cheap...and the result looked...quick and cheap.

specifically in all the continuous tone areas like skies, there is a nasty pebbling/mottling thing that happens, I tried to ask a tech support person about it, but it was immediately apparent that the person writing the email response was not very familiar with working with digital image files.

They do offer an 8.5 x 8.5 square size though, which for me is an ideal compromise when one has a mix of verticals and horizontals. Blurb only offers 7x7 (too small) and 12x12 (too big). But for 20 bucks it's a lot less work and a lot cheaper for getting a physical object then making inkjet prints and taping them in a notebook, which is what I was doing before.

Good to hear your experience. I made a Blurb book in 2011; it was good enough for my purposes then. But my originals were 11x14 b/w prints copied with a crop-format DSLR... certainly would have looked better had I scanned the negatives and properly edited those files. I'm contemplating another book, but haven't decided which way to go yet.

Similar experiences as above. Cheap and quick...quick and cheap. For something nicer look into Edition One in Berkeley, CA. I have used them a few times. You pick paper, size, cover etc. Good quality, reasonably prices. I am not affiliated.

Quote Originally Posted by liaroozendaalphotography View Post
    Similar experiences as above. Cheap and quick...quick and cheap. For something nicer look into Edition One in Berkeley, CA. I have used them a few times. You pick paper, size, cover etc. Good quality, reasonably prices. I am not affiliated.
    Hmm....Edition One looked really interesting until I got to the message that told me there was a minimum order of $500. I also don't see anything on their site about the type of printing (i think blurb and lulu use indigo or similar laser toner printers) or if there is any choice in paper type. Are they one of those places that only does matte paper?

lulu.com works well enough, and carries a lot of promotion options... but the profit margin -if you don't want your books to be overpriced for fans- is going to be not that big.