Thread: Size of Graflex back of 4 X 5 Graflex Series D or Super D

Size of Graflex back of 4 X 5 Graflex Series D or Super D

Can a kind member let me know the outer metal dimensions (part that screws on the camera wooden back frame) of the Graflex revolving back on the 4 x 5 Graflex Series D or Super D. (Both should be the same I think) Thank you!

Re: Size of Graflex back of 4 X 5 Graflex Series D or Super D

I have a Series D. Assuming I understood your question correctly: W = 6-5/16"; H = 6-7/8" for the metal assembly that's screwed to the back of the camera.

Thank you - just what I wanted. Stay safe.

If you are thinking of some kind of conversion, the (original) Graflok back on my Super D is exactly the same back as is on the Pacemaker Crowns and Speeds--it even has the pocket at the top for the screw-on eyepiece. I suspect that's why there are Crowns on Ebay without their backs.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I have a number of 3 x 4 Super D's and Series D's and I am having a local machine shop make up a number of mounting plates for the Graflok back. I just wanted to check that the plates will also work for 4 X 5 versions and they will. I am using Graflok backs from the Speeds/Crowns but I find the best Graflok back is from the Graphic View. It is square and smaller and parts are interchangeable with the larger ones from Speeds/Crowns.

Does this mean that you are fitting Graphic View backs on your 3x4 cameras? Will there be focus plane differences, and how do you plan to deal with it? Asking because I have several 3x4 Graflexes, and a Graphic View I'm not using. Randy Moe and I contemplated doing something similar once, but it was on me and I couldn't see a clear path through to the end.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I did the conversion to a 4X5 Super D RB to a standard Graflok Graphic frame, but as Michael noted, it does change the distance... I had ordered a custom adapter, but adjustments had to be made to the upper GG, but not hard... One of the mounting clips had a slot for adjustment, but had to be enlarged for matching to the extended rear... You would focus on a target on the rear GG and match the upper to it...

(I forgot his name, Bertie???) on graflex.org sold me the adapter and sent me some 1 page sheets with instructions, but my notes are buried now, so go to the site to find them... The adapter plate has to be very thin to match the adjustment range...

Right after I ordered the adapter plate, I had found a Tektronix oscilloscope camera with Graflok back that I fumed would could be used for an adapter, but noticed the aluminum plate was 1/16" thick and wouldn't be able to match GG focus...

Go to graflex.org and get all info you can first... It's entirely possible and mine worked out great (using camera daily now)... But (Bert Saunders???) might not be with us anymore, and I think I might have gotten one of the last ones he made... I think I might have also gotten a template life size of the adapter layout that would make it easy for your shop to clone...

Sorry, my memory of the details for this are getting a little hazy about it from more then several years ago...

Good luck!!!

Steve K

I have done a number of conversions to Graflok backs on 3 X 4 Graflexes and in the past had used a baltic birch ply back but I am going to use aluminium for rigidity and the ability to tap. The focusing has to be adjusted with shims but is not too difficult. Also allows a fresnel screen to be added to the ground glass if not already there. I have not done a conversion on a 4 X 5 but wanted to make the plate usable on a 4 X 5 as well if I ever find one at a reasonable price.

I was initally planning to do some milling on an old, rough GVII back that just would fit into the bottom of the old Graflex back, but found out that adapter would be too thick to get both GG's to line up properly, but Bert replied that he makes adapters for the RB that would hold a SG Graflok frame back... I had some backs, so I ordered the kit from him (about $100 + $20 for a new leather handle)... He e-mailed me a few papers with instructions (and even a rough guide on how to make a new FP shutter if needed)... Took a few weeks...

The way Bert made the adapter was a very thin piece of sheet steel about the size of the Graflok back, that had a large hole the size of the RB rotating ring on the back of the camera rear plate... There was a circle of holes around that hole for screws to thread into the rotating ring to secure adapter to it... To secure the Graflok back to the thin adapter, there were holes punched out where little 2-56 T-nuts would go to catch the 5 screws coming through the Graflok back... There is a little clearance due to the height of the rotating ring, so the T-nut heads had some space... The adapter side towards camera had a layer of sheet felt for easy rotation, and prevent possible scratching the camera side... The adapter is thin, but as it is supported by the rotating ring and the back frame, it stays very flat as those act like a brace for it...

It works very well despite my inital doubts, but is probably a copy of the Graflex conversion the service center would provide... I would install another if I had the camera for it, but Bert was having major health problems then that caused delays for mine, and went silent online after that, so the worst might have happened... But very pleased how the back worked out...

Steve K

Is anyone in this thread (or referenced in this thread) currently making adapter plates made for 3.25 x 4.25 Graflex RB to 4x5 Graflok, or have a manufacturer making such a thing?

I have a number of 3.25 x 4.25 Graflexes of various models (Series C, Series D, Super D, RB Auto, etc) I'd love to convert, and a few spare Graflok backs. I'm well aware of the 3D printed options out there but since I have the OEM Graflok backs to spare I'd rather put those to use.