Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to start working on a shutter?

How to start working on a shutter?

I have here a couple of shutters (Compur, Synchro-Compur, Ilex, Prontor...) that have various problems. Some are blocked, some have the slow times that stutter, some don't stay cocked and other various small issues. Now these shutters aren't on cameras that are rare or expensive and it isn't very important that they do work. So I'm not planning on spending lots of money on them to have them repaired. For some it is even cheaper to buy another one that to have them repaired. But I'd like to be able to use those cameras at least once.

Now I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to mechanics. I have purchased suitable oil (Moebius), I had already a more than full box of assorted screwdrivers, spanners, pliers and tweezers. If needed a mill and lathe are in the downstairs workshop. There is also a collection of various wrecks of cameras around.

What is lacking is knowledge and experience.

Experience I can't learn, that will only come from doing it. So I need to make a start but I don't like to do this blind. Are there good resources about working on those shutters? What would I also most likely be missing? What would be a good shutter to start learning on?
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Re: How to start working on a shutter?

First off: I thought I wanted to do some woprk on one of my shutters once. I checked on YouTube and found a few how-to videos. After watching, I re-evaluated my tools and skill set and did not turn the first srew.

I have all my shutter work done by Professional Camera Repair here in Houston.

Go to: www.professionalcamerarepair.com
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

its not all that hard if you are handy, have good screw drivers, lubes, cleaners, and the patience to sit for several hours.

when starting out, get a few junk shutters n work on them. if you have a bad shutter that you wouldnt mind if it ever works again... thats a perfect one to start on... worst case it still wont work. best case, you get it working... either way its an education n thats never free.

google shutter repair n you will find a ton of diy information. there were a few sites that once were dedicated to diy repairs. maybe you can find those in the way back machine?

I have a set of old mail order Camera repair books

They are not much help, poor images, insipid text, not worth scanning

and now my eyes are too poor to even try, even with magnifiers

I just fit any lens to a Packard Shutter and carry on, I even add flash sync which is easy

The Packard advantage is it can be mounted inside most cameras, thus enabling many lenses
    Tin Can

Chris Sherlock demonstrates servicing a Compur-Rapid shutter in great detail. Start here, with part one (2 more parts will follow):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68uBN6gzpYs&t=13s

Part two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0JeUwC_vD8
    Part three: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHZXTokynME&t=17s

I've learned from Chris's videos, and have serviced at least 15 Retinas to date. If you are patient, and can follow instructions well, you can do it. If I can, anyone can, with patience.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll look at the Compur-rapid shutter videos, there is a Retina involved so that is handy as a start. It works but is sluggish. Just must find a way to store those youtube videos. To often I see one that I want to review later and cannot find it back or it just doesn't want to play anymore.

While a Packard shutter might be a solution for some applications, not all the things I would like to do are LF. Quite a lot are MF folders where I would like to keep the original shutter.

As said above, start on a shutter you don't care about, then just start. Some things I find helpful are to take photos along the way as you see fit to remind you of how and where springs and levers normally sit. Also, I use plastic multi-compartment parts boxes and place each piece in it's own compartment along with any screws and springs that attach to it. Reassembly is then going through the parts box in reverse. Also, working with a towel underneath you as opposed to a hard workbench will help keep small things from bouncing too far away when they get dropped.

Also, there are a lot of good sources online so I'll do a little research on a particular piece before working on it. Jo Lommen's site along with graflex.org have a ton of info.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

there is a ton on retinas. google it?

retinas are fun to work on. the shutter comes right out just by taking the retaining ring off from inside.

which retina do yiu have?

Good question. I received it as a gift from someone that has a whole collection of them. Looks like a 010 with a Xenar.

Download as many PDF service manuals as you can find. Watch as many you tube videos (though beware always of misinformation that is rampant on the internet) and take apart and re-assemble some shutters similar to what you want to learn. Maybe even buy some broken shutters just to take apart and re-assemble until you can do it without looking at the notes.