Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: DSLR Scanning - Signal / Noise

Re: DSLR Scanning - Signal / Noise

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    Grat - anyone who has actually made decently sized prints from an Epson scan and looked at them alongside the same image off any decently high end scanner will be able to see that there are significant defects in the Epson scan.

With moderate competence, DSLR scans can do a much better job than the Epson in terms of sharpness and granularity resolution. I have seen the results and worked on the files to my satisfaction - there are issues that need refined, but they are merely ones of colour correction. A reasonably current 24mp APS-C sensor can do a better job than the Epson.

If you like the Epson, fine, but it's not in any way comparable to what either high end scanners or intelligently used CMOS sensors can do.

Real facts discredit what you are saying: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1553112

Re: DSLR Scanning - Signal / Noise

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    Grat - anyone who has actually made decently sized prints from an Epson scan and looked at them alongside the same image off any decently high end scanner will be able to see that there are significant defects in the Epson scan.
    Naturally. Comparing an $800 scanner to a $16,000 scanner, I would @$#%*( well expect the $16k scanner to do a better job. Usually the complaints are with color and contrast, which are relatively simple to fix with modern software. And the $15,000 price disparity can be used to buy other things, like a motorcycle or a small car.

Then, if I really want a high-quality scan, I can send the negative off to a professional lab, and have the scan done for a nominal fee. While still having a whole lot of money that I didn't spend on a high-end scanner.

With moderate competence, DSLR scans can do a much better job than the Epson in terms of sharpness and granularity resolution. I have seen the results and worked on the files to my satisfaction - there are issues that need refined, but they are merely ones of colour correction. A reasonably current 24mp APS-C sensor can do a better job than the Epson.
    Which, I believe, is EXACTLY WHAT I SAID. I also said the Epson was far more convenient.

If you like the Epson, fine, but it's not in any way comparable to what either high end scanners or intelligently used CMOS sensors can do.
    I'm *so* glad you're OK with me liking the Epson. I was afraid I was going to have to send it back, because someone on the internet said it didn't work. And it's nice to see you've come around to my viewpoint on the relative performance.