Thread: Elwood enlarger

Re: Elwood enlarger

The one I had required a center filter.

Nice enlarger. Should last a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    The one I had required a center filter.
    Yes, I had a 5x7 Elwood that had a piece of round glass ground in the middle to serve as a center filter. As I recall it fit into the dome, above the negative holder.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I have a beautiful old Elwood 5x7, and I was tempted to put a Coldhead light source inside the big top chamber. But then I found a bargain on a Zone VI 5x7...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I HAD a Cold Light Head to exactly fit in a 5X7 Elwood

Then I broke it by accident

sad

but now I can use the metal box for LED head, one of these years

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I have a beautiful old Elwood 5x7, and I was tempted to put a Coldhead light source inside the big top chamber. But then I found a bargain on a Zone VI 5x7...
    Tin Can

I once had a 5 X 7 Omega E-3 with auto focus back in the '80s's with cold light and electrically controlled under-the-lens shutter mechanism as the cold light was on all the time. It had a 190mm lens for 5 X 7 negs. Alas it got sold in a divorce...miss the enlarger, not her.

Ray Van Nes

I have had mine for years. Bought from a friend for $50. Removed the war of the worlds top and put on a cold light. Later got a 6 x 9 Aristo light which covers 5 x 7 nicely. I made an adapter using stacking boxes and it also can handle the Aristo 12 x 12 light for 8 x 10. A real workhorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Yes, I had a 5x7 Elwood that had a piece of round glass ground in the middle to serve as a center filter. As I recall it fit into the dome, above the negative holder.
    Yep, both the 5x7 I had and my friend's 8x10 have a thick piece of heat absorbing glass and a sandblasted (?) diffusion glass that would help even things out.

Those beautiful big 500W bulbs probably aren't as needed with modern papers. Elwood probably sold more enlargers than anyone. The OP's example is beautiful. I still have a Wollensak 161mm that I used in my impoverished youth. Great lens.
    With the flood of used enlarging lens I now have 180, 210, 240, 300mm

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Did that Elwood come from Missouri? I saw a very good one FS there

I have one like it, also a wall mount, same thing and an 8X10 that is massive. I gave away one other 8X10.

Lens boards are easy to make as is a neg carrier

Be very gentle with the masking knobs, they have aged poorly, but also replaceable

Does it have a stack of diffusion glass, with one center filter? The factory changed that setup a couple times, but DIY again

I rewired a new porcelain lamp socket for safety, the same part is still sold, I got one from Amazon this year.

The bulbs don't last forever, so for setup I use a huge CFL, then switch to the 500

The dome is spun copper, with a very bright chrome plating that is thin, be gentle

One had a 10" f8 coated Kodak lens, I now use a modern faster lens

The folding elevation upright is adjustable by 2 bolts at the fold, for alignment, once done it is amazingly stable, which I checked with laser and posted somewhere here...In one pic below there is the laser on the easel

I am in far southern IL, the one I almost bought was 50 miles away

I really like the Art Deco design of the Elwoods

IMG-1572 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

web 1940's Elwood Enlarger by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    No this one came from Grand forks BC Canada .Thanks for all the info I will be setting it up soon

Wow thanks every one I am looking forward to getting it set up , finding some 5x7 film and comparing it to the 4x5