Thread: Elwood enlarger

Elwood enlarger

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5616.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	203679
    G’Day All
    Yesterday I heard about a 5x7 enlarger for sale at a very reasonable price so I hopped in my car drove a hundred miles and found an Elwood 5x7.The reason I wanted it is I have a 5x7 camera but I always use the 4x5 reducing back as I had no way to print. This giant is a little different than what I am used to ,no condensers just several piece of glass above the neg carrier, it came with spare 500 watt bulb ,lens board ,4 pieces of thin metal about 4x5 and a glass neg carrier.What would be the right lens to use - 150mm? Anybody that can tell me anything about this enlarger or has old articles about it would be appreciated .
    Thanks MichaelClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5412.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	203678

Re: Elwood enlarger

It depends on how big you want to print.
    In Elwood's horizontal configuration the size of your dark room is the limit!
    In the vertical configuration I spend a lot of time working on my knees (no fun) as I don't have a very high ceiling
    Anything from a 180mm to a 250mm should serve you well.
    I use a 229mm Ilex Copy Paragon my 8x10 'wood with no complaints

That's a very fine looking Elwood, btw!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Small town, South Carolina, US

Looks great! I have one - yet to be put in service but will never sell. I thought they took a 250 watt bulb.??

I just purchased a 7 1/2 inch for mine in the current set up after testing a 203mm camera lens and finding it a bit too long but usable. I plan to only enlarge to 11x14.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Did that Elwood come from Missouri? I saw a very good one FS there

I have one like it, also a wall mount, same thing and an 8X10 that is massive. I gave away one other 8X10.

Lens boards are easy to make as is a neg carrier

Be very gentle with the masking knobs, they have aged poorly, but also replaceable

Does it have a stack of diffusion glass, with one center filter? The factory changed that setup a couple times, but DIY again

I rewired a new porcelain lamp socket for safety, the same part is still sold, I got one from Amazon this year.

The bulbs don't last forever, so for setup I use a huge CFL, then switch to the 500

The dome is spun copper, with a very bright chrome plating that is thin, be gentle

One had a 10" f8 coated Kodak lens, I now use a modern faster lens

The folding elevation upright is adjustable by 2 bolts at the fold, for alignment, once done it is amazingly stable, which I checked with laser and posted somewhere here...In one pic below there is the laser on the easel

I am in far southern IL, the one I almost bought was 50 miles away

I really like the Art Deco design of the Elwoods

IMG-1572 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

web 1940's Elwood Enlarger by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelGJ47 View Post

G’Day All
    Yesterday I heard about a 5x7 enlarger for sale at a very reasonable price so I hopped in my car drove a hundred miles and found an Elwood 5x7.The reason I wanted it is I have a 5x7 camera but I always use the 4x5 reducing back as I had no way to print. This giant is a little different than what I am used to ,no condensers just several piece of glass above the neg carrier, it came with spare 500 watt bulb ,lens board ,4 pieces of thin metal about 4x5 and a glass neg carrier.What would be the right lens to use - 150mm? Anybody that can tell me anything about this enlarger or has old articles about it would be appreciated .

Tin Can

Tin Can -- To extend the life of a 500 Watt lamp in the Elwood for framing and focusing and even for exposing, place a 12 Volt auto lamp that normally consumes about 5 Watts of power in series with the 500 Watt lamp. This extends the life of the 500 Watt lamp by a factor of maybe 3 or 4 times. The auto lamp can be shorted out to return the enlarger lamp to full power. A variable output transformer accomplishes the same thing, but is more expensive.

Thanks Jim, I now do have a Variac, free, I paid shipping from a member here and now I forget that name, but have his email from the event

So thank you too Mr Variac!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Tin Can -- To extend the life of a 500 Watt lamp in the Elwood for framing and focusing and even for exposing, place a 12 Volt auto lamp that normally consumes about 5 Watts of power in series with the 500 Watt lamp. This extends the life of the 500 Watt lamp by a factor of maybe 3 or 4 times. The auto lamp can be shorted out to return the enlarger lamp to full power. A variable output transformer accomplishes the same thing, but is more expensive.
    Tin Can

I have had one for 30+ years. A good solid enlarger. My normal lens is a 180 Componon. Tye bulbs seem to last forever. I have a spare,but have never had to change bulbs.

I see in pic 2 we have the same old Linhof. They are great cameras in studio.

Linhof Kodak 405 (1) by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelGJ47 View Post

G’Day All

Tin Can