Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24" Artar Red Dot Real Coverage For 14x17

Question 24" Artar Red Dot Real Coverage For 14x17

Greetings. I have looked high and low for the answer and find nothing but confusing and contradicting answers. I have an Artar 24" Red dot lens. I would like to know if the lens will fully cover the 14x17 format. The 14x17 I will be using is a wet plate camera so I won't be stopping the lens down. Most likely I will shoot around wide open to 2 stops down at the max. I did mange to land on a page that lays out the specifications of the Artar from an old Artar ad. The page mentions the lens will cover a 14x17, yet there is no mention of the image circle. Other posts I found mention the lens has an image circle of 20" and will only cover 11x14. Some even say the 24" Artar will only cover 14x17 when stopped all the way down. I'm not looking for movements as I'll be shooting simple wet plate compositions with a focus on infinity. Is there anyone that has used the 24" Artar on a 14x17 camera? Thanks in advance.

~Bruce

Re: 24" Artar Red Dot Real Coverage For 14x17

Bruce,

The short answer to your question is yes it should cover. Here's a link to a blog where the guy talks about best lenses for 14x17. He list quite a few lenses and their coverage. I wold love to hear more about the wet plate and this camera. I've always been intrigued by the wet plate process and a 14x17 sounds like a good format for it.

https://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blo...ndations-14x17
    Last edited by Michael Wellman; 12-May-2020 at 22:19.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I use a 24" Artar on my 14x17 all the time and it is good wide open, no problem.

The 1951 Goerz catalog says 12x15" at 1:10, 14x17" @1:5 for the pre-Red Dot 24" Apo Artar.

A circa 1967 Red Dot Artar brochure I have gives a "plate diagonal" of 20.4 inches at infinity. Also gives a "Full Field Angle" of 46º if you want to check this with trig.

David

Sorry Bruce, I just noticed that my link didn't get posted. Check it out. https://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blo...ndations-14x17

It's a great post on lenses for 14x17 camera ranging from Schneider G Clarion 355 to Goerz 70" with everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I use a 24" Artar on my 14x17 all the time and it is good wide open, no problem.
    Thanks Jim. That's good news for me. On a side note I have been following your carbon transfer printing. Amazing work. I have tried carbon transfer printing several times with varying results. That is one technique that is much better learned from a master such as yourself. Thanks again for the feedback on the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wellman View Post
    Sorry Bruce, I just noticed that my link didn't get posted. Check it out. https://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blo...ndations-14x17

It's a great post on lenses for 14x17 camera ranging from Schneider G Clarion 355 to Goerz 70" with everything in between.
    Thanks for the link. I should have mentioned that I did find that information, yet the coverage of the Artar specified something smaller than coverage for the 14x17. There's still some fantastic information there. Thanks again for the info.

The wet plate collodion process is one that has intrigued me for a few years. Last year I decided to get serious and start researching. Between books, Youtube and the internet, I was able to get started. I'll do a workshop when things calm down. I applied for a grant and was awarded enough to buy a 14x17 tailboard wet plate camera. The camera was ordered back in January, or rather I was put in the waiting list. Wet plate collodion has become a very popular process and as a result finding a good camera is difficult. The time frame for the delivery of the 14x17 is late summer. For now I am using a wet plate holder for my 8x10 with a 5x7 reducing back. I have included my first shot on glass. A still life shot on 5x7. I'm working on my next image now.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Books(Plate One)Original.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	203683

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by berathbun View Post
    Thanks Jim. That's good news for me. On a side note I have been following your carbon transfer printing. Amazing work. I have tried carbon transfer printing several times with varying results. That is one technique that is much better learned from a master such as yourself. Thanks again for the feedback on the lens.
    I appreciate the kind words. Carbon transfer can test one's patience and take time to master but it is well worth the effort. Find the process that is "you" and dedicate yourself to it. The 14x17 format is awesome. My friend and wet plate master Luther Gerlach told me it was his favorite plate size so you made a good choice.