Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Norma Copy Stand

Sinar Norma Copy Stand

Norma Copy Setup 4x5 1to1 180 Componon by Nokton48, on Flickr

Sinar Norma Copy Stand/Overhead Still Life Table

Built with all original Sinar Norma parts. Had this for many years and never put it together until now. Presently set up for 4x5 1:1 with sweet Durst Componon 180mm f5.6 and Sinar Norma Shutter. Ken Ruth talked me into collecting the Schneider chrome Componons (I have them all) you can easily take them apart yourself and wash the milkiness off any of the elements in your kitchen sink. Which I have done, he's absolutely right.

An old Broncolor C171 Monolight 375ws with old Broncolor Pulso Beauty Dish. Beautiful light for an overhead close-up type of shot. Will set something up soon.

Marine grade plywood base best grade makes the most solid copy stand I have ever had the pleasure to use. Rock solid.

My new copy stand is sitting on my FOBA DIMIL sweep table, I need to find some suitable plexiglass for it.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Re: Sinar Norma Copy Stand

Heh... been there done this.. Add one more aux standard with a un-drilled lens board or similar board and the set up becomes a GOOD macro foto set up. Set up like that enhances stability, reduces vibration due to the entire camera and macro subject platform moving together. One of the lesser appreciated features of the Sinar system.

The other Sinar widget is the C-clamp rail adapter. Quite the handy device...

There are few view camera systems that can match the capability and flexibility of the Sinar system.

Bernice

Thanks for that Bernice. I think I need some more Norma 18" rails. They have rectangular slots, the newer ones are more roundish. Have to look around more intensively.

Have TTL Norma Sinarsixes, and Broncolor TTL flash meters make it fun to play with. Kewl stuff.

Even my Reflex Hood has the old Sinar Norma era logo.

― Mark Twain

Norma #4 Copy Stand Finally Together by Nokton48, on Flickr

I finally have everything put together and this is what I want to leave set up in my studio. Norma #4 two Broncolor Impact 21 Monolights with 3M Polarizing Gels over each light. Sinar Shutter extra lenses I'm currently interested in using down below short term storage. Polarizing filter on the lens as well use the Norma Polarizer.

I think this will work out for me. It's about what I wanted.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Norma #4 Copy Stand Finally Together by Nokton48, on Flickr

I finally have everything put together and this is what I want to leave set up in my studio. Norma #4 two Broncolor Impact 21 Monolights with 3M Polarizing Gels over each light. Sinar Shutter extra lenses I'm currently interested in using down below short term storage. Polarizing filter on the lens as well use the Norma Polarizer.

I think this will work out for me. It's about what I wanted.
    When that 600 pack was introduced I was the rep for the east coast. Rose Studio in NYC wanted to test it before buying them. So I brought it to them with the multiple tube head. They had an assistant climb a ladder to install it high over the set. Once he had it positioned that it was set an assistant fired it while the guy on the ladder was looking at it from a couple of feet from the reflector. Fortunately someone grabbed him as he fell off!

Years ago my 10 year old son "popped" me as I was looking at it from close range. It was in the Hazylight. Orange spots abounded! That little Devil! Sparkly lighted red buttons are magnets to kids.....

Larry at Broncolor was extremely kind and helpful getting these going. Actually I have two 606 packs and four heads. I remember Larry said at Broncolor they call it "The Iron Horse". He asked me if I had any idea what I have there. "Nope" I said. In todays dollars he said those strobes would be over $100,000 each. What could I say?

Six thousand watt seconds in one "pop". It's a quite loud pop I can tell you

Those little Impact 21's are 200 watt seconds each. So when my 606 fires, it is like 30 Impact 21's going off at one. Or 60 Vivitar 283's firing at once.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 12-Aug-2020 at 19:59.

― Mark Twain

Selling high power strobes was fun.
    When I was with Rollei Armstrong Industries wanted to buy our E5000 strobe which was actually four 1500ws packs in one housing that required a 220 3 phase outlet.
    We made an appointment to show the strobe, told them the power requirement and drove to Lancaster, PA with a unit.
    Got to the studio and they had the studio manager and an electrician there. We asked the electrician if the outlet was correct and he assured us it was.
    Plugged it in and the studio manager stood in front of the multi tube reflector that would output all four packs at once.
    He said to pop it and it pegged his flash meter. He reset it and it again pegged the meter. He said to do it again and the entire pack jumped off the floor, flew against the wall and burned up. Awful small and smoke.
    Asked the electrician again if that was 220v 3 phase. He said it was and took his meter to show us. Then he said “oops, 440V”!
    Next day we had to explain to the President of Rollei how we totaled a $5,000.00 pack in 1973 dollars!

2 weeks later we introduced the Rollei E1500 power pack at PMA. Among its interesting features was it could be fired by a radio synch and it was very safe. You could plug in or unplug the head while it was fully charged without it shorting out as the ground pin was much longer then the other pins. It also had U-V coated tubes, titanium dioxide painted reflectors, constant flash duration at all power settings, quartz halogen modeling lights and flash tubes covered by a common frosted glass dome and the modeling light accurately tracked with the output setting of the flash.
    The night before the show opened someone stole our radio transmitter for the strobe. It had a plug for the synch cord and a red open flash button.
    As mentioned above, you could unplug the lamp head without its shortening out. Unless you fired it while unplugging it.
    I had a pack on one side of our booth and our other salesman had one on the other side. We were both demoing the packs when he pulled the plug on his and there was a loud clap and his pack burned up. The guy I was showing it to had his mouth opened wide, caught his breath and asked what happened, with that my pack exploded while I was unplugging the head!
    Apparently whoever stole the Rollei Radio was walking around someplace pushing that red button trying to figure out why he couldnt hear anything on the radio!
    So we had to explain to our President how we blew up those packs also!

This was the era when studio strobe power was absolutely required. Once the products got large, so did the strobe power needed to light them. If diffusion was applied, even more strobe power was needed. If the image was made on 8x10, more strobe power still.

This resulted in essentially a strobe power battle by the major players. Bronocolor_Elinchrome were to that were always at this.

Elinchrome offered a twin flash tube 4,000 watt/second per tube single head initially as the X8, then X8000. To get 8,000 watt/seconds per flash two 404 power packs were connected to the two power cords from the X8000 head, sync was flash slaved between the two packs. Kind remember numbers like f90 at 15-20 ft. And multi-flash was possible to get more light on to the film.

Those were very different times for view camera stuff.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Six thousand watt seconds in one "pop". It's a quite loud pop I can tell you

I remember being surprised when I went to take a workshop with Norman McGrath in 1989... he'd brought a 5000 w/s Balcar as his only power pack.
    Never saw another one before or since, but it did the job. The consensus among the class, though, was that for shooting interiors, multiple smaller packs were a good idea.
    He was also the first person I saw using a Sinar F with the reflex viewer (keeping this story on-topic).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I remember being surprised when I went to take a workshop with Norman McGrath in 1989... he'd brought a 5000 w/s Balcar as his only power pack.
    Never saw another one before or since, but it did the job. The consensus among the class, though, was that for shooting interiors, multiple smaller packs were a good idea.
    He was also the first person I saw using a Sinar F with the reflex viewer (keeping this story on-topic).
    I had my workshop with Norman McGrath in 2002. I asked him then, were he to do it over again, what would he purchase? He responded that he would buy Dynalites. At the time, he had five heads and a total of 6000 watt-seconds in power packs. So, I purchased the same in Dynalites. I still have them.