Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Norma Copy Stand

Re: Sinar Norma Copy Stand

Norma Rodenstock Apo-Ronar collection by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here is my complete collection of Norma Rodenstock Apo Ronars, I don't have a 1070mm F11 but I'm watching one that costs as much as a used car. Right now I'm shooting a bit with the 150mm F9 Apo-Ronar and I love how it renders on film. In fact I like it so much, that I bought a second one.

My 8x10 Norma Rear Standard even has adjustable metal pins, to make register-punched color separations. Like a rock solid ittsy process camera.

I have the McGrath 1st Edition and it's a classic. Gave me a lot of great ideas at the time.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 27-Aug-2021 at 10:00.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Dynalites either worked well or had spectacular dramatic pyrotechnics... Even on brand new units...

For a shoot we rented a couple that were brand new out of the box, but after a few pops, each started making a strange hissing/wooshing sound, and looking over, we saw a low cloud of bluish smoke hovering around them, then suddenly a more violent sound with a true mushroom cloud pouring out the vents!!! So brought those right back to the rental counter, but tech just looked bored as he just returned them to regular inventory... I spoke up that these were defective and should not be rented to anyone who are trying to make time and money on a pro shoot... He just shrugged and said they often did that, but kept working so don't worry about it...

The "hot" ultralight strobe back then was the Rilex (which weighed nothing) but with Dyna heads modded to work with them...

Steve K

Norma #4 Copy Stand Finally Together 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Further work on the Sinar Norma Copy Stand/Overhead Shooting Table. To speed up some copy jobs I will use 6x9 and 6x6 Sinar Norma 120 Film Backs. I have just finished adapting three each of the Graflex wind knobs to fit the Norma Rapid Adapter Back which interchanges with the 4x5 Back on the rear standard.
    A metal cable automates the sliding back (which has it's own shutter) with the Sinar Norma Shutter on the front standard.

Mechanism is as fast to operate as any reflex camera, once the cable tensions are adjusted. I've changed to the Schneider chrome 135mm Componon in chrome barrel, the image precisely fits the 6x9 format as set up here. Looks great through the camera, ready to shoot. The Sinar Norma Monocular Reflex Eyepiece is probably the Norma accessory that I found most hard to find over time. Last year, I finally got one.

A roll of Ilford FP4+ is loaded and ready to shoot. Looks like according to my Broncolor FM2 incident flash meter, about f16 will do the job with full polarization. I'll bracket part of the test roll at 1/2 stops and I'm thinking of PMK+ Pyro for the development.

My new to me Broncolor 404 and three heads are in the left corner. 1600 ws pack 120V
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 17-Aug-2020 at 04:35.

― Mark Twain

Maki Std Copy Test Shades 180mm F3.2 GX680 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here I have attached the Makiflex Standard camera. to my Sinar Norma Copy Stand/Clamp/Head Mechanism. Attached the 180mm F3.2 Fuji GX680. Shooting my "shades" as a 3D test, using a Plaubel Makina 6x6 120 back, loaded with FOMA 200 rated at 100. Polarized lighting both sides, 200WS each, and the 103mm Sinar Norma Polarizing Filter Holder fits tightly on the front lenshood on the 180 GX680 lens. Just like it was made for it! WOW this lens has some resolution, now.... Quite acute in a good way.

I have wanted to try this setup for a while. As I think I have mentioned before, the Makiflex family has a Plaubel patented shutter braking mechanism, absolutely granite boulder solid and vibration free. Plaubel made a big deal about this when the introduced the camera. Unlike some other big SLR's, no vibes at all, so perfect, although somewhat mute as I am using strobe.

This is tight 6x6 crop of the clip-on sunglasses. Will try to develop ASAP. Also I can use all kinds of sheet film in this.

Foma 200 bracked at f16, f11, f8 and f5.6 as a start. Development will prolly be in Pyro PMK+

― Mark Twain

Shades 45 degree High Contrast Pol Test 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is a quick test of my new Sinar Norma Copy Stand. Plaubel Makiflex Automatic 9x9cm SLR with hacked Fuji GX680 180mm F3.2. 6x6cm Plaubel Makina film 120 back #4. High contrast polarized lighting. Two Broncolor Impact 21 200 watt second strobes, with polarizing gels adjusted fully. 103mm Sinar Norma glass polarizing disc under the lens, also fully adjusted. Strobes balanced with Broncolor FM2 Strobe Meter, balanced to F/32 1/2 both sides illuminating. The GX680 lens is one of my sharpest for sure. Foba 200 B&W 120 film exposed at EI 100. Developed in ADOX BORAX MQ straight replenished D76 type. This exposure was one pop at F8. Also made exposures at F11 and F5.6, but this is the ONE. 8x8 inch print on 8x10 Aristo #2 RC developed in Multigrade developer.

This setup is good for photographing anything where you want this type of contrasty polarized lighting with 45 degree shadows.
    Such as photographs or flat art.

Setup shown above ^^^
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 27-Aug-2021 at 09:11.

― Mark Twain

Broncolor Balloon and FOBA Sweep Table by Nokton48, on Flickr

I have just upgraded my vertical shooting table in my studio. Three layers of heavy expensive plywood makes a rock stable base. Norma camera upgraded to 5x7, the Norma Reflex Viewer works with this, but dosen't cover the entire field and needs to be moved around. But still it works.

Broncolor Balloon Head fits their proline Pulso heads, I have diassembled it and converted it to fit my smaller Broncolor Imapact units. With only 50W modeling heat buildup is not too extreme. This head can handle up to 6400 watt second heads but heats up quick!

To the left I have re-assembled my FOBA Sweep Table, I've clamped cherry table tops to it for now and it's great. I'm going to have thick heavy glass custom cut so I can light from below and behind. This is listed in the very old FOBA catalog.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...es&sts=hist-ma

I got this one shipped from Germany for about 300 Euros. Happy Happy.

I enjoy restoring and building all of this. This is a big move forward
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 27-Aug-2021 at 10:59.

― Mark Twain

FOBA 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

FOBA C40 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

FOBA 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

FOBA 4 by Nokton48, on Flickr

― Mark Twain

FOBA 6 by Nokton48, on Flickr

FOBA 7 by Nokton48, on Flickr

― Mark Twain

Yes, a wonderful kit

Very hard to find

That's why I use an Arkay Senior as base
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

It is far simpler to make a superb copy stand out of a Durst column chassis than that. No studio stand is as solid, especially if the chassis column is bolted to a wall. But if you're trying to copy a eight foot wide Persian rug in rectlinear fashion, neither will do. You need what a friend of mine has in his studio - a ceiling cutout replete with heavy steel catwalk. He has his Sinar gear supported on a crane-like "cherry picker" device, with Broncolor light boxes right below. Probably cost more to build overall than my whole house. But he has a full gourmet kitchen underneath, with the dining table at the middle, and of course other Sinar cameras at ground floor elevation. Production food photography at its best, and with the perk of eating it after the shoot.

My own new deluxe copy system doesn't need to accommodate anything larger than a 30X40 inch original print on the baseboard. I can almost instantly remove the lens turret on my L138 and replace it with a rigid disc bearing a camera mount instead. The LED light panels remain permanently attached with long curved arms to the baseboard itself, but fully out of the way when doing actual printmaking (enlargements).

Anything hypothetically bigger, I'd revert back to my ole hot lights, stands, panels, and a horizontal shoot, with the subject itself vertical on a wall.

I don't have any Apo Ronars like Daniel, but an equivalent set of Apo Nikkor process lenses, superb close-up, as well as macro lenses for smaller format cameras when that's appropriate.