Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggest Me Some Monitors For Photo Editing

Re: Suggest Me Some Monitors For Photo Editing

Quote Originally Posted by Chester McCheeserton View Post
    But when my ship comes in I'll be springing for that eizo....
    Eizo is in the process of launching new 2K (ColorEdge CG2700S) and 4K (ColorEdge CG2700X) monitors: https://www.eizoglobal.com/products/...e/sp_cg2700xs/
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Out of curiosity, which model BenQ do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    My BenQ is not super-uniform, but I have an idea of how to compensate for its variations. But the color is reasonable and it calibrates nicely, giving me enough similarity between screen and print to avoid feeling like I'm chasing my tail. It also comes with a viewing hood that has a door in the top especially for dropping a calibrator to rest on the front of the screen.

I use an X-Rite I1 Display Pro calibration system. Having a good calibration systems is as important as having a good monitor.

Rick "can't complain at the price paid" Denney

I have and really like my BenQ SW240. This is a true, graphics quality monitor having a bit-depth of 10 bits and a 14 bit lookup table. It has a color gamut that's 99% of Adobe RGB. At $399 for a 24" monitor with those specs, it's an excellent value.

A person at B&H with whom I spoke about this monitor spoke highly of BenQ monitors in general. They manufacture their own screens so that they can have control of their own quality, versus purchasing screens from another manufacturer.

The 24" screen is ideal for me in my situation. But as one might suspect, the SW270c priced at $799.99 is a 27" screen with better specs. It also has a bit-depth of 10 bits and has a color gamut of 99% Adobe RGB. But, it has a 16 bit lookup table.

BenQ color graphics quality monitors larger than 27" get expensive. The least expensive, next larger sized color graphics monitor I can find on the B&H site is the SW321c. They don't appear to offer a "reasonably priced" 32" color graphics monitor, like they do in the 24" and 27" sizes. The SW321c has the same 10 bit bit-depth and 16 bit lookup table with a color gamut of 99% of Adobe RGB as the SW270c, but it's priced at $1999.99. Whew!

Note that bit-depth relates to the number of colors a monitor is capable of producing. Monitors with lookup tables enable one to use table-based color management, versus matrix-based color management. (I much prefer the former.) BenQ color graphics quality monitors come with their own color graphics software that's really slick. It also has options for both basic and advanced users.

I use the BenQ SW271, and have been pretty happy with it.

27", 4K resolution, 10-bit colour with a 14-bit LUT and HDR capability. Obviously the Eizo ColorEdge CG319X would be nice, but I'm not dropping 4 grand on a monitor.

Colour accurate OLED screens are starting to appear on the market, and are a very attractive proposition. Obviously prices are still high, and it remains to be seen if burn-in will be a long term issue with them, but a space to watch for sure. The black levels (and therefore contrast ratio achievable) with OLED screens are nothing short of incredible.