Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Wet / dry plate photography

Foamer

Re: Wet / dry plate photography

Quote Originally Posted by pkr1979 View Post
    And Kent in SD... thanks for the comments and for mentioning the dripping silver in particular - I will need that portable darkroom after all :-)

If you do it in a room or place your wife cares about, just be sure to put down a lot of plastic (not paper) to cover everything. Remember that there is silver on your gloves and anything you touch can cause a stain. Don't leave chemical bottles open unless you are using them. If you do drip some silver on something wet a paper towel down with fixer and carefully wipe it up, then follow up with a damp paper towel. The silver solution is clear so you don't notice it at first. After the light has hit it a few times it turns dark brown. When I mix chemicals I do it using the plastic lid of a large storage box, upside down. This catches any spills and splatters. I also put the cat outside so she doesn't knock any bottles over. You know how cats are. As for workshops, they are useful but I didn't go to one. I just watched videos and got a few tips from forums. The manuals from John Coffer or Mark Osterman are very good and complete. I also think this guy has done a very basic and complete job with his series:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Thanks man! Is this:

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I also think this guy has done a very basic and complete job with his series:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    the right link though?

:-)

Foamer

I'll fix it later. Link should go to YouTube, robert bieber wet plate.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Could you recommend me a convenient and reliable dry plate holder for Sinar P 4x5?
    Glass size: 127x102x1.8mm.
    No experience of shooting on glass.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by russo turisto View Post
    Could you recommend me a convenient and reliable dry plate holder for Sinar P 4x5?
    Glass size: 127x102x1.8mm.
    No experience of shooting on glass.
    Hey Russo!

So one of our members Jason Lane has a company PICTORIOGRAPHICA that manufacturers dry plates & offers for sale all sorts of dry plate accessories so this would be a good place to start your hunthttps://www.pictoriographica.com/
    Heres a link to the accessories section where you can buy a 4x5 ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder for your Sinar P 4x5 here https://www.pictoriographica.com/sto...agraphica.html. While your at it buy a couple boxes of ready to shot Jason Lanes Dry Plates to us in your new dry plate holder. Win Win!

Hope this helps and there are other ways to locate modern spec dry plate holders but Jason & his products are a great place to start
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 12-Jan-2021 at 13:44. Reason: remove Welcome! joined in 2017 so welcome was late

Hello Louis
    PICTORIOGRAPHICA have very low ISO in my opinion.
    I plan to start with Russian Slavich glass plate. 127x102x1.8mm
    Chamonix only 127mm x 100.5mm.
    Chroma yes, 127x102mm. https://chroma.camera/product/4x5-wet-plate-holder/ Is it second version of ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate Holder? Is it comfortable? Have it problems with the plastic of the printer?

I have not found holder manufacturers anymore.

I think that some vintage lenses were made with a right-angle mirror or prism in front of the lens.

A few years ago I modified a 70s vintage Spiratone "Circo-mirro-tach" to thread onto a 210mm f/5.6. This was to do some overhead table top imaging. Perhaps something like that would work for your reversed image question. These sometimes come up on The-Bay.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

J Lane Dry Plate Maki Brass Petzval 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

9x12cm J Lane Dry Plate Test exposed EI 1 dev straight Legacy Mic-X 18 minutes at 60F. Plaubel Makiflex 6 inch Brass Projection Petzval about F4. Arista 8x10 RC Matte #2 dev Multigrade. Omega DII with Omegalite Diffusion Head. RADA 9x12cm Normalfaltz Plate Holder with Makiflex Attachment
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

This may be a dumb question, but here goes. I am completely new to dry plate/glass plate/tintype/prints made on glass plates photography and don’t completely understand emulsions & developers. Liquid emulsions (Foma, Rollei Black Magic, Liquid Light) can be used to produce both a negative image (exposed with a camera) and/or a positive image (exposed with an enlarger)? Do I understand this correctly with the only difference being the type of developer used (film/paper)? When I buy paper & film, they are not the same emulsions on both surfaces, are they? If it is the case that the same liquid emulsions can produce negative and positive images, how is this possible? I need to understand which emulsion(s?) I need for the following: 1. producing negatives on glass plates exposed with a camera. 2. producing positive prints with an enlarger on glass plates. 3. for tintype images, will any of these emulsions work provided they are put on a black plate and developed with Rockland’s tintype developer?
    Thank you and I am looking forward to the education & better understanding before I jump in.

a negative is made by coating glass or clear film with emulsion

you MAY use the same chemistry to now print the negative onto paper or whatever, making a positive

most do use different chemistry for each part of the process

but not necessarily necessary

a dime contact imaged onto a negative will be a clear hole

when the negative is contact printed onto paper it is a black hole

enlargers just make things bigger
    Tin Can