Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet / dry plate photography

Re: Wet / dry plate photography

I have watched Coffer video and will follow his methods. I will buy his deliverables after I get the kit

I will not be traveling much anymore. Hopefully!

I know chem safety, worked in labs most of my life and as fabricator of anything

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Yeah, Main Trophy is my source. It's probably the most expensive part of the whole thing. But a 48x24" sheet is about $15 if I recall. I buy it in bulk, get about 10 sheets. It lasts me a year or two. Shooting mostly 5x6 or smaller, a few large ones once in a while.

For the first few years I shot wetplate every week, sometimes daily. Now I just get it out every month or two for a session. I can have my darkroom (laundry) set up in 15 minutes. Camera set up in the yard and composed in 15 more. Shooting and developing, get about 4-5 good plates, and be shut down and cleaned up in an hour or two. Try that with film.

TinCan, glad you're diving in! It's an exciting learning experience. Buy a manual if you can. Quinn's is good, Coffer's better. Even better try to go to a workshop. I used to teach wetplate workshops, and the students would be getting excellent plates in 2-3 hours. Learning on your own, watching a variety of contradictory youtube "experts", it may take you a few weeks or months, and a lot of wasted plates. But it can be self taught too. Just follow ONE person's advice, not 10 or 20.
    Tin Can

Foamer

Garrett--
    You left out the price of the 5x7 holder and silver tank. That's pushing $500 right there. Add $300 kit and you're getting pretty close to the figure I quoted.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Foamer

There is something else I'll mention and that's holders. For 5x7 I only found Chamonix. Nice but came with a surprise. I bought one and ordered a ton of 5x7 tins. They didn't fit--too big. Some brands of holders are made to (smaller) sheet fim dimensions, others are full sized. Not a problem if you cut your own or the supplier knows what size to cut. I prefer full size though as that way I can buy pre-cut framing glass. My 4x5 holder is Lund and my 8x10 is Stenopeika. Not happy with the 8x10 one and have ordered a custom made one from Anton, $400. Will mention you can shoot dry plates in wet plate holder one at a time. I have processed dry plates in the field in my portable dark lab. It's not hard.

Kent in SD

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

http://collodionbastards.org/diy/ easy

I can make what I need and prefer to

no miracles here http://www.wetplatewagon.com/
    Tin Can

Foamer

I've had good luck with the Lund traveling tanks, 5x7 and 8x10. They don't leak or corrode.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    Hi John.

No I wasn't. I first heard about it from Dunniway who heard about it from the Ostermann's. To be sure, submerge plate in 1 part glycerin to 2 parts water. Take it home and process later.
    I love being absolutely clueless and every day learning something new
    Im always blown away at the stuff like this I learn about.

Thanks for adding to my education !
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Garrett--
    You left out the price of the 5x7 holder and silver tank. That's pushing $500 right there. Add $300 kit and you're getting pretty close to the figure I quoted.

Kent in SD
    You mean plate holder? I made mine from an old $5 Eastman wooden plate holder. Made a caddie out of plexiglass that fits into the holder as if it's the glass plate, then you put the tin inside that. Kind of like this, I can't find a pic of my actual adapted holder I used for years.

Remember, in 2006 there were no fancy companies making wetplate equipment. It was do it yourself, chemicals, holders, lensboards, tanks, dark boxes. Some people would buy a custom-made walnut dark box from that guy in Texas the first few years. For like $900. I'd make one out of an old ammo packing crate.

Same with a silver tank, I went to Michaels, bought a big square glass vase. It was $15. If you are spending hundreds on this....you're doing it differently than I do. When I saw the commercial companies start to pop up, and the prices they were charging for cameras, tanks, and dark boxes, I about choked. I do it for 1/25th as much cost.

Remember who made the most money during the California Gold rush. Not the miners, the supply stores.

This is awesome. I will do this:
    Then you can pour a plate on clear glass and make a correctly orientated ambrotype (not reversed image) by backing it with black paper and viewing the front.

Saw this today, which looks exactly like a cheap ammo box I have from Sams

https://www.lundphotographics.com/in...ing-tanks.html

So this answers 2 questions, yes put exposed plates in water and take them home

and gear can be store bought or made

Lund has a lot of free info, I suggest anyone new like me read it

for the record I did order a custom silver box from France, which looks exactly like a Lund with a different prop stand

But I will convert old dry plate holders to wet and use my cargo trailer as dark room with my very cheap LED safe lamps, I already have
    Tin Can

Foamer

You mean plate holder? I made mine from an old $5 Eastman wooden plate holder. Made a caddie out of plexiglass that fits into the holder as if it's the glass plate, then you put the tin inside that. Kind of like this, I can't find a pic of my actual adapted holder I used for years.

Remember, in 2006 there were no fancy companies making wetplate equipment. It was do it yourself, chemicals, holders, lensboards, tanks, dark boxes. Some people would buy a custom-made walnut dark box from that guy in Texas the first few years. For like $900. I'd make one out of an old ammo packing crate.

Same with a silver tank, I went to Michaels, bought a big square glass vase. It was $15. If you are spending hundreds on this....you're doing it differently than I do. When I saw the commercial companies start to pop up, and the prices they were charging for cameras, tanks, and dark boxes, I about choked. I do it for 1/25th as much cost.
    I had considered a glass tank but I only do wet plate when out in the field. Couldn't see how make a glass tank seal tightly and didn't want to bother with pouring solution in & out of the tank in the kind of weather I deal with. Also had concerns about glass breaking, and wanted something completely light proof (although might be able to fix that by wrapping with lightproof material.) All in all just buying a traveling tank with highly positive reviews was more attractive to me. Also know about converting old holders, but didn't want to go that route as I want to make plates that are full dimension. I did make my own insert 8x10--->4x5 so I could make cheap exposure tests. I bought an 8x10 plate storage tank from Lund but am making a smaller one for 4x5 using a plastic ammo box and making a slotted holder to go in it. Have now made two dark boxes. One for 4x5 & 5x7 and a large step inside one for 8x10. Will show photos of that when it gets warmer outside.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria