Thread: Adapters: Petzval to Leaf Shutter and LF to mirrorless . . .?

Adapters: Petzval to Leaf Shutter and LF to mirrorless . . .?

Kicking around a few p[otential projects I my head:

1. getting a cross-over adapter made to let me screw an old brass lens into a lef shutter. Ok, there may be other more traditional solutions, but I'd like to explore this one . . .at least on paper for now. I have a couple of Ilex shutters and a no-name brass lens I'd like to put onto my 4x5 Zone VI and possibly my Kodak 2D 8x10.

2. I have an couple of oscilloscope lenses in brrel mounts; that is an iris but no shutter. I'd like to adapt one or both to some mirrorless camera, perhaps in micro 4/3 format. I don't yet have the camera. Thinking that a focus mount is needed and then an adapter for the lens.

3. With that project in mind, I had a thought to also pick up a pretty small brass Petzval lens for the same, as yet un-bought camera.

Anyt suggestions or experience wityh any of these ideas?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Adapters: Petzval to Leaf Shutter and LF to mirrorless . . .?

Hi Drew. For projects like that I use an Anniversary Graphic. The wood lens boards are easy to make. The focal plane shutter takes care of timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Kicking around a few p[otential projects I my head:

1. getting a cross-over adapter made to let me screw an old brass lens into a lef shutter. Ok, there may be other more traditional solutions, but I'd like to explore this one . . .at least on paper for now. I have a couple of Ilex shutters and a no-name brass lens I'd like to put onto my 4x5 Zone VI and possibly my Kodak 2D 8x10.
    Front-mounting is an old, old idea and has been done many times with many sizes of lenses and shutters.

And there's the big problem. Many sizes. One possible solution is an iris type lens holder mounted in front of a cup-shaped adapter that screws into the shutter of choice. It would appear that otherwise one needs a custom adapter for each lens/shutter pair.

A possible solution is to make an adapter that holds a shutter in front of the lens, with the lens mounted on a board. I can see ways to make a system like this light-tight for a variety of sizes of lens. Awkward, and the shutter's size -- remember, #5s are the largest -- is limiting.

Which raises the smaller but still large problem. The farther the rear of the lens sits in front of the smallest opening in the system -- usually the shutter -- the worse mechanical vignetting is.

Drew, now do you understand why most lenses in barrel are poisoned gifts?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Hi Drew. For projects like that I use an Anniversary Graphic. The wood lens boards are easy to make. The focal plane shutter takes care of timing.
    A good idea for the barrel lenses I guess.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I've been shooting petzvals in a lot of formats for years. The mirrorless route is a difficult one. One thing is it's very hard to get a short one that will cover APS-C or 35mm. To cover, you'll need about a 3" / 75mm Petzval. There are not very many of them that size. Though with all the 1/6th and 1/9th plates, you'd think there would be. Once you get one, try an adapter made for C-mount to FX mount. Then you'll have to either make a focusing mechanism, or just do fixed focus by taping the lens to a tube, then in the hole. I've done it a few times, it's a pain.