Thread: A new focal plane meter? DLG Electronics

A new focal plane meter? DLG Electronics

Has anyone here used one of these? https://www.dlgelectronics.com/photo...oductpage.html - I've always worked with a Pentax Digital Spotmeter and have just spent some time trying understand how these focal plane meters are used in practice. There is a description of a 'Sinar Six' on pg 179 of 'View Camera Technique - 7th ed' but this UK manufactured unit seems like a simplified product, strange though that no reviews or user experiences have appeared online. I think CatLabs may distribute in the USA.

Considering the relatively economical pricing of the above unit I wonder if they represent a viable option vs. the price of used Pentax meters? On the other hand Gossen and Sekonic are still around.

Re: A new focal plane meter? DLG Electronics

I used to own a Sinar Six, but sold it. I've always gotten great results with my Pentax, Minolta, Sekonic spot meters. They were advertised as being able to isolate the precise area for exposure. However, even with a shrouded ground glass, I had problems finding the exact spot. There was a later solution involving a Minolta metering probe, but I never got around to trying it.

The price on this iteration is not too bad - 195GBP ($241). However, I agree that it would be helpful to have some hands-on reviews.
    Best,
    Dennis

Sinar meter back with Sinar booster one..
    Sinar had that integrated into the Sinar digital shutter and all as a system at one point in time.

That was done decades ago. Think if one wanted a LF film plane metering system, the Sinar system should be considered.
    IMO, film plane metering for studio-indoor stuff is OK, outdoor lot s of stuff can go wrong due to the needs and problems with working with LF out of studio and outside.

Re-do of solutions to problems that has always been with LF.

Bernice

Bernice, are you aware of the Horseman meter?

Yes, think that was the Horseman meter insert that went into the film back on a 4x5 camera.

Gossen and a few others made them. Minolta made a booster that was intended to measure the light on the ground glass viewing side. Have one, did not work well at all.

Difference with the Sinar, no shift in ground glass position with the metering probe in place. This allows viewing the GG image in focus while probing with the light meter sensor.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Bernice, are you aware of the Horseman meter?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Yes, think that was the Horseman meter insert that went into the film back on a 4x5 camera.

Gossen and a few others made them. Minolta made a booster that was intended to measure the light on the ground glass viewing side. Have one, did not work well at all.

Difference with the Sinar, no shift in ground glass position with the metering probe in place. This allows viewing the GG image in focus while probing with the light meter sensor.

Bernice
    That depended on the version of the Sinar back. The Sinar probe was the Gossen and the original version did displace the gg.

At one time I had a sinar six based probe system and didn't like it. About ten years ago I pieced together a focal plane metering system with a Sinar probe, the cassette probe holder and my Minolta IV f. Got the manual (online) and tried to learn how t6o use it. I am sure it was me . . .anyway I never did get it right, and it was a bother to juggle the pieces. Can't imagine using that set up in the back yard let alone several miles away from a parking lot.

BTW; I was shooting with a Zone VI 4x5.

I sold it all off eventually.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Bernice
    Not very aware. It was an averaging meter that inserted like a film holder.

You can buy it locally in the US here: https://www.catlabs.info/product/photometer-2
    and a review here:

Bernice
    You mean "advantage" of the Sinar, right?