Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lens Ravings of a Quarantined Large Format Mind...

Re: The Lens Ravings of a Quarantined Large Format Mind...

In 2007, I was looking to get a 300mm lens for 4x5, and at the time, the Fujinon-C was cheaper than the Nikkor-M (not a lot). In addition, the Fujinon-C requires a slightly shorter flange focal distance, so was a better match for my then Tachihara, as I'd be able to focus a wee bit closer. I bought it from Badger in January 2007 for $695. Good thing I save emails! I have the 200/8 Nikkor-M, and it's probably my most used lens. Honestly, I've seen no difference in the quality of the results, both are excellent lenses.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Drew Wiley

The only six air/glass interfaces of the Nikkor M tessars, along with multicoating, give them the highest contrast and hue purity of any LF lenses I can think of with the single exception of the late Kern multicoated 14in. dagor, which had only four interfaces. But it's extremely difficult to translate such subtle distinctions into an actual color print, and for all practical purposes, nobody is likely to even detect a difference in results between a 300M and a 300C. One minor downside of Fuji C lenses is that they aren't great very close up (near macro), being infinity corrected, but neither are general-purpose plasmats.

Rather than over stress on the not worth over stressing about differences between modern lenses that are used at a taking aperture of f16 to f45..

f16 becomes the divide at these focal lengths of 7-1/2" (180_ish mm) to beyond 30" or 800+ mm.

For LF images (5x7_13x18cm) with a taking aperture of f4.5 to f16, lens choice will be a Tessar aka Schneider Xenar, Kodak Ektar, Heilar or similar. These are in barrel as the barrel lenses have a good round aperture, if you're going to use these lenses at these apertures (f4.5 or full aperture _ish) out of focus rendition is a good part of the reason why. To get there shutter speeds down to where the Sinar shutter is happy, apply as much neutral density filter as needed to achieve a reasonable shutter speed for the Sinar shutter.

For LF images with a taking aperture of f16 to f45, the lens choice will be a four element APO process four element air spaced Dialyte aka APO artar, APO Ronar and similar. Dagor is a oddity, which remains preferred for some images. This is also essentially a f16_ish taking lens with personality.
    These will be everything in image "sharp" or perception of good focus which will be defined by f16 and smaller taking apertures.

While there are definitely differences in contrast rendition and all that amount these lenses, film, processing, print making all needs to be figured into the how finished print will be. Lens personality is just one facet of the print making whole.

Bernice

You'll notice Nikon being rather conservative with their IC specs and Fuji rather generous.

I don't have the Fuji but I do have the Nikon 300M, and on 8x10 have noticed plenty more IC available than the specs would have you think.

A similar situation - many consider the 450M to cover up to 16x20 despite the 440mm Nikon spec. I have used this lens myself on 8x20 and it covers more than well enough at typically-used apertures.

My guess considering this is that the Nikon and Fuji both have roughly equal image circles.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200312_165842.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	203561

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200401_160143_resized.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	203563

This is what I have my 450 M on. Magnificent lens, if you have the bellows for it. I'm not any great artist but it's loads of fun. I picked up a nice 300 M for my 8X10 folder to use in the field, 52mm filters, straight on no significant camera adjustments. I have yet to make a single exposure with the 300.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200312_165842.jpg  

I like my 5.6 lenses, although some up to 6.7 (150mm to 360mm). I am in low light situations for many of my images and the having twice as much light as an f8 lens is nice. That said, I have managed to use f/11 lenses under the redwoods when I have wanted to. Sharpness, contrast, and signatures I will leave up to you and others. I enjoyed my 4x5 enlargements to 16x20 using a 150mm/5.6, but that was a long time ago.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Closest thing to Redwoods we have here are Eastern Red Cedar. The only large examples left are in very old church yards in eastern Iowa. I'm not sure how old these trees get to be and are nothing even remotely large, these cedars are quite beautiful, some quite huge by midwestern standards. I've only spent a few days among the California Redwood forests. I've never been more inspired. I can't think of a more lovely place to be than in a forest.

Too bad more old growth trees were not set aside. Everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Closest thing to Redwoods we have here are Eastern Red Cedar. The only large examples left are in very old church yards in eastern Iowa. I'm not sure how old these trees get to be and are nothing even remotely large, these cedars are quite beautiful, some quite huge by midwestern standards. I've only spent a few days among the California Redwood forests. I've never been more inspired. I can't think of a more lovely place to be than in a forest. Too bad more old growth trees were not set aside. Everywhere.
    The Western Red Cedar forests I have hiked through on the west side of the WA Cascades come close to the redwoods. Depending on the opening of the National Parks, I am planning a backpack into the redwoods in June...I'll take the the 5x7 most likely. Two images from where I want to go (4x5 carbon and 5x7 platinum)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1McDonald Creek.jpg   Two redwoods.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    The Western Red Cedar forests I have hiked through on the west side of the WA Cascades come close to the redwoods. Depending on the opening of the National Parks, I am planning a backpack into the redwoods in June...I'll take the the 5x7 most likely. Two images from where I want to go (4x5 carbon and 5x7 platinum)...
    Those are beautiful, I've got to get out, there's a rural cemetery near by that have a few virgin red cedars. Unfortunately, Iowa has the least undisturbed native grounds (I've been told) of any state due to row crop farming.
    I'm too old to be backpacking, but we got some great old forgotten graveyards etc. I've got to try carbon printing sometime. I know a local instructor, I have everything I would need.
    I love contact prints, especially smaller ones. I think 5x7 is a wonderful size. I still have dbl. Weight Azo, and plenty of fresh Fomalux.
    Best Regards Mike