Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linhof vs Berlebach for Sinar Norma

Re: Linhof vs Berlebach for Sinar Norma

Thank you Mark for reminding me of the resonator guitars. A 1938 National, that's really cool.

David

Between here and there

I just found a Linhof Twinshank (003333) with the pneumatic center column, and for under 100 euros I'll just see if I like it. Worst case, it'll be a good enough studio tripod. Works fine with the Sinar pan/tilt head. Only thing that might be a problem going forward is spare parts, especially the two rubber rings top and bottom on the column.
    Last edited by Jimi; 29-Aug-2020 at 14:27.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Many tripods will work with 4x5/5x7 Normas. The 60s Architectural Illustrator Julius Shulman used up to 8x10 Norma on a highly modified Leitz Tiltall. Work fine for his needs. Pictures are is his library of books.

4x5 5x7 8x10 Normas by Nokton48, on Flickr

I bought the Manfrotto to use on commercial architectural assignments. The Zone VI is well beaton and still working for me like a champion. The FOBA C40 is the tripod designed for Norma (it's in the Norma catalog) and in some ways completes the Norma. With a big heavy Norma extensions two C40's will stabilize this rig. Also the legs on the C40 can be infinitely extended with FOBA Combitubes.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    I just found a Linhof Twinshank (003333) with the pneumatic center column, and for under 100 euros I'll just see if I like it. Worst case, it'll be a good enough studio tripod. Works fine with the Sinar pan/tilt head. Only thing that might be a problem going forward is spare parts, especially the two rubber ring top and bottom on the column.
    No problem with parts. LInhof in Munich or any LInhof service center has them. Those rings are used on current LInhof tripods.

Between here and there

Good to know, Bob - I'll have to contact them to get some new ones.

I've always wondered if there was an "official" tripod for the Norma, and I have seen FOBAs being mentioned in Ebay listings. In what way do they complete the Norma setup?
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

I've always wondered if there was an "official" tripod for the Norma, and I have seen FOBAs being mentioned in Ebay listings. In what way do they complete the Norma setup?
    In going through my original Sinar Norma literature, most of the time Normas were mounted on Gitzo tripods and a few times on FOBA tripods. Every Norma was shown to be mounted atop their Pan-Tilt head. Conspicuously, in going through the Sinar ads in my collection of international photo technik magazines, there never seemed to be a tripod shown in their ads.

Good to know, Bob - I'll have to contact them to get some new ones.

No, Sinar and Foba were both Swiss and both were distributed by EPOI while I was there. We were issued Foba tripods to demo Sinar. When Sinar formed there own distribution company in the USA they partnered with Broncolor and Foba.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No, Sinar and Foba were both Swiss and both were distributed by EPOI while I was there. We were issued Foba tripods to demo Sinar. When Sinar formed there own distribution company in the USA they partnered with Broncolor and Foba.
    Did Foba share parts/ design with some of Gitzo's bigger classic aluminium tripods (systematic/ series 5)? There seems to have been at least some shared DNA from what I've seen of Foba's tripods over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    Did Foba share parts/ design with some of Gitzo's bigger classic aluminium tripods (systematic/ series 5)? There seems to have been at least some shared DNA from what I've seen of Foba's tripods over the years.
    Not that I’m aware of.