Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linhof vs Berlebach for Sinar Norma

Re: Linhof vs Berlebach for Sinar Norma

I have both a Berlebach and a twin-shank Bogen. The latter is a much finer piece of machinery, but there's an important feature that everyone talks about-- lack of vibration. I thought this was a bogus issue until I had to do some video with a telephoto lens, where the difference became immensely clear in favor of wood, as everyone in the past has said. So now I use the Bogen in the studio with strobes, where it's more flexible, and the wood tripod where vibration is an issue.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Consider the tripod materials used by the serious cinema, video, surveyor devices, Astronomy telescopes and similar optical devices. Majority are not metal and of a multi-shank design with NO rising center column. Wood has served users of these imaging devices for a long time and to this day.

It does make me wonder where the belief that aluminum legged tripods are better than wood came from.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    I have both a Berlebach and a twin-shank Bogen. The latter is a much finer piece of machinery, but there's an important feature that everyone talks about-- lack of vibration. I thought this was a bogus issue until I had to do some video with a telephoto lens, where the difference became immensely clear in favor of wood, as everyone in the past has said. So now I use the Bogen in the studio with strobes, where it's more flexible, and the wood tripod where vibration is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Consider the tripod materials used by the serious cinema, video, surveyor devices, Astronomy telescopes and similar optical devices. Majority are not metal and of a multi-shank design with NO rising center column. Wood has served users of these imaging devices for a long time and to this day.

It does make me wonder where the belief that aluminum legged tripods are better than wood came from.

Bernice
    How many aluminum pianos, violins, guitars have you experienced?

and there are combinations

I have a 50's version of this, with wood, same thing sold now

Linhof Vintage Heavy-Duty Pro 2-Section Tripod, 44 lbs Load Capacity, 55" Maximum Height, Oiled Ash Wood

https://www.adorama.com/lf003324.htm...urce=adl-gbase

What I like are big spikes on any tripod to hold the Earth still
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post

Bernice
    They are less expensive. That's the only advantage that I see. Of course, sometimes you get what you paid for.

Drew Wiley

Depends on the quality. There are budget and even junk versions of all three : wood, aluminum, and carbon fiber, as well as very high quality versions of all these.

How do wooden tripods cope with immersion in salt or fresh water?

Most of my work involves having the feet or lower sections in the sea or in rivers.

I'd like to use my Berlebach, but leave it at home in case i need to get the feet wet!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    How do wooden tripods cope with immersion in salt or fresh water?

Most of my work involves having the feet or lower sections in the sea or in rivers.

I'd like to use my Berlebach, but leave it at home in case i need to get the feet wet!

Mike
    The wooden legs on my RIES tripods have been immersed in the streams of New England hundreds of times with no worse the wear. Every now and then do apply auto polish on them. When immersed in salt water, I rinse the legs off with fresh water but that may be days later. I worried more about the metal leg locks, but after years of use, they still operate as when new. Can't same the same for a vintage aluminum Gitzo. After one summers use at the seashore, the rotating leg locks never worked smoothly again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    How many aluminum pianos, violins, guitars have you experienced?
    Through the magic of google I was able to confirm my vague recollection: the Hindenburg had an aluminum piano. One of several references:https://www.airships.net/blog/hindenburg-piano/

Note that the piano was not on Hindenburg when it burned, it had been removed at the beginning of 1937, one source says that was done to save weight.

David

I could use a wooden tripod for my 4x5 Norma, and the Zone VI as well. I'll have to start saving money... I won't sell my steel-bodied 1938 National guitar (with its spun-aluminum resonator cone) to finance one, though.