Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Human sized camera

Re: Human sized camera

There is a longtime member here that has a camera he told me about the other day. It's big enough to sit inside of, while the exposure is made! Maybe he'll see this and weigh in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Instead we may start with a $150 600mm glass in two weeks, using a regular 38" darkroom plastic tray, $40. Enough to judge if one likes that path and what amount is worth to spend in the 1200mm glass.
    Did you purchase a "600mm glass" for $150? If you haven't and are looking at a lens from an aerial camera offered on eBay, look closely and make sure that the seller is offering a complete lens, not one of two cells.

Not light but can be taken to pieces.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200101_184627.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	203509Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200102_194135.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	203512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200103_180305.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	203510Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200106_002144.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	203511

I took pictures on 50x60 cm photo paper.

Developed in trays inside the camera.

We dried 760mm Artar (a bit too sharp) and 500mm Tessar (a bit too wide). Because it was a Christmas project in another country then I ran out of time and did not manage to try 800mm Triplet. I think that would have been a good match. I hope to try it when I get back there.

We used just a simple stand for focusing. Worked well. Shutter was just a cardboard taped in place. I used simple timer for measurement. My friend stayed outside of the camera and helped me with development by measuring the time (I did the same for him).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Did you purchase a "600mm glass" for $150? If you haven't and are looking at a lens from an aerial camera offered on eBay, look closely and make sure that the seller is offering a complete lens, not one of two cells.
    I purchased my Lomo O-2 600mm for 35€ several years ago. It was a true bargain, totally new. Now those can be found for around 150€.

I have to rate its lp/mm performance, that may be surprisingly good, I've 8x10" night shot where it depicts pretty well a cigarette end at 180m, so I'm curious. You told me time ago that those lenses were wide open rated, so they may be better than catalog says.

Drew Wiley

Dan and Pere - Nikon's Apo Nikkor image circle specs are geared to apo dot color repro standards @ f22, which are far more stringent than needed for general photographic applications. For all practical purposes, the real world image circle is going to be much bigger, especially stopped further down as would normally be the case. Numerous portable cameras this size have been made, and even much bigger. Searches of past threads might be beneficial. Otherwise, Type R color paper is extinct and never was the same thing as Cibachrome, which is now also gone. But it is possible to still make a reversal positive color print using current chromogenic papers like Fuji Crystal Archive, but with a concocted developer rather than standard RA4. I can't vouch for the visual quality of the result or print permanence; but it is being done by a few people.

First of all, Thank you all for the fasts replies, I wasn’t expecting that much ! Really great to see the interest you have in such project.

Originally, I bought a van for my project, and as time went by, I started to want a « greener » approach. At least one without a car. You’re going to laugh, I plan to move with donkeys ! But it is not my first concern, I might start shooting right outside my home to practice.

The pinhole might be a good start, I can practice and adjust the tent right now and search a lens at the same time. I wasn’t expecting such f/ though ! f/800 at iso 3-5, it might take some time. About the sharpness : I need a lens. I like my pictures to be as detailed as it can be. I like to dive into sharp large prints. The Lomo option is to be considered too.

For the paper, I’ve found a 127cmx15m roll of Hartmann paper. As you would expect, price is not low. That and the price of the lens will be two major concerns. I once made some photographic paper when I was in school, might consider that option too. Or asks Harman for a partnership

For the lens mount, I’m thinking of making a custom swivel, that can go right/left and up/down, mounted on a tripod with adjustable legs for the horizon.

For the paper mount, something similar, that can be move and rotate easily. As I’ll be inside the camera, it may be easier to adjust focal plane and avoid mistakes. I’m convincing myself here. I can’t use melanin board alas, too big and heavy to move. Maybe a custom foldable wood plane. I don’t know… will look into that !

For developing, Pere Casals read in my mind. Was indeed thinking of travelling light : Big papers pre-cut in individuals carton rolls, a little bit of developer and little papers for testing on locations. Is my photography safe if it is in the dark ? Can it be stored before being develops without prejudice ?
    Thanks Drew, I mingled the Type-R and the Cibachrome sorry, and for the RA4, nothing I’ve seen (on YouTube though) convinced me. It seems complex and results average. I think I made my grief on color process on this on particular project. I'm ok with the cafenol prints I've seen.

Thanks FrancisF for the links, that is exactly that kind of size I’m looking for ! The link to the specific image : https://www.photrio.com/forum/attach...s2-png.245236/

Thanks for the Yahoo.jp and buy.jp tips. Nice project Erian !

Here are some 3D renders the model I designed quickly for the tent. Wood and metal clips. I would add strings and tents pegs all around to tighten it.

Name:	vue globale.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	203543
    Donkeys !

Name:	haut.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	203544

Name:	fixation clip metal.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	203545

Quote Originally Posted by tiphaine View Post
    My project
    No electricity, no photography. No oil, no photography. No plastic, no photography. One night, as I was looking for sleep, I wondered why there isn't it already a "green" photography. I mean, today all is rebranded with an ecological bias. There will be a day soon that some big brand come to you with a greenwhashed camera and our conscience will be happy.
    Ok, perhaps a silly idea, but if you want it totally "green" have you thought of photosensitive organisms? There has been research around that years ago. I read about this when reading about the history of the invention of recordable CD technology.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

The only green all natural photography I can think of is the Shroud of Turin and literally it is human sized. Need to find a cave though and a huge boulder.

Several years ago I purchased a lens element, a positive meniscus lens from Surplus Shed here in the US. It is about 145mm in diameter and has a focal length of about 3 meters. It is very light, only about 6-7mm thick. I made a frame from black foam-core and reduced the aperture (cut a circle in a sheet of black art paper) of about 100mm, so I think this comes out to be a 3 meter f/l lens with a f/27 aperture. I would think, if you could get your hands on such a thing, it would serve your purpose. I don't think I paid more than about $12 US for this glass. I have no idea what the initial purpose for this glass was. My intention was for a room sized camera obscura.
    Last edited by Randy; 10-Sep-2020 at 17:41.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

[QUOTE=Pere Casals;1550495]

. . . Of course it will work, your aperture will be small so exposure will be long. With pinhole you have the blurr confusion circle around the hole size, suposing subjet is far, a larger blurr circle if subject is close.

For a 1200mm focal you are to use a 1.5mm hole delivering f/822 . Here it balances optimal diffraction vs hole : https://www.mrpinhole.com/holesize.php

Your image would have a 1.5mm blurr circle.

Pros: you only need a hole, a 1.5 mm one it's easy to make. Holes for smaller formats have to be better machined to do a good job.

Cons: low speed, 1.5mm blur for f= 1200. . . .

There are many recommendations for the correct diameter of any focal length in pinhole photography, often based more on theory or poor advice rather than on hands-on experience. Based on my experience, the optimum pinhole diameter for a 1200mm focal length would be about 1.3mm. This would resolve about 1 line pair/mm where the on-axis blur circle from geometric optics and diffraction phenomena are about equal. At that point, image blur is less than predicted by both geometry and diffraction. As the pinhole diameter increases, geometry determines image blur. As the pinhole diameter becomes smaller, image blur increases in a less predictable manner due to diffraction. Also, interpreting image blur of standard test charts varies among different people.

Wide angle pinhole photography brings up other factors which affect one's choice of pinhole diameter. As the angle of coverage increases, some photographers may wish to slightly increase the pinhole diameter to improve sharpness towards the edges of the image despite enlarging the central image blur. A pinhole image has negligible drop-off in sharpness up to 20 degrees from the pinhole axis. By 40 degrees there is little loss In radial sharpness, but about 35% in tangential sharpness. By 50 degrees the radial sharpness has dropped of noticeably and the tangential sharpness by 60%. This demonstrates that wide angle pinhole cameras show substantial astigmatism in addition to the distortion that all wide angle cameras have. If we move in close with a well-designed wide angle pinhole camera while maintaining the same image size, the image blur decrease. That is one way of improving pinhole image sharpness if the subject permits.

Much of this information is based on 40-year-old photography. It is based on rather casual photography instead of the more rigorous work that would be more valuable to researchers. I don't even have a darkroom now. If the more inventive photographers on this site unite to pool their findings, we may become the new center for pinhole photography.