Thread: Contact Frame Spring Search

Contact Frame Spring Search

For quite some time now I have been using a circa 1900 Century 11x14 contact printing frame. Works great. It is developing a warp in it and I had Eric Larsen (on this forum) make me a fabulous replacement using the round edge tabs to hold the back in place verses the long side channel. My question is related to the springs on the back of the contact frame. On the older Century the springs on it are very thin (about 1 1/2mm) are easy to set in place yet provide more than adequate pressure to the negative / printing paper sandwich. The newer frame springs are too thick and hard to put in place particularly when you are in multi hour contact printing sessions. Unfortunately the existing Century springs are short for a replacement option.

Assuming that the thin steel is likely hardened to a degree to get it to be very elastic, where can I acquire such material and also get it cut and bent to my application? Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

Re: Contact Frame Spring Search

The people I have found who deal the most with springs are gunsmiths... Many springs in those, including flat...

They are in your area...

Steve K

Re: Contact Frame Spring Search

A lot of older frames used 1/16 x 1 brass stock just form it to the shape and spring tension you want.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net