Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Developer Question

Re: Developer Question

Quote Originally Posted by Ironage View Post
    The art of photography is the development not of the film but of the photographer.
    Love that quote!

LabRat: Maybe you've shared it elsewhere, but seems like either you're dying to share the ID of your secret sauce, or you're afraid to mention it for the umpteenth time. What's the sauce?

A word about Fomapan 100. My experience is that it builds contrast quickly. I'm new in the lab so stuck with the "one film, one developer" advice and was using Naaco super 76 ( a liquid D-76 clone). I struggled with controlling highlight density in spite of increased dilutions and decreased development times. Finally mixed my own D-76 variant (I've seen it called d-76H or dk-76, anyhow three ingredients) and that so far has been successful although using it at a 1:2 dilution. I don't know how fomapan responds in other developers but this is my experience.

fshmstr

Quote Originally Posted by roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau View Post
    Love that quote!

LabRat: Maybe you've shared it elsewhere, but seems like either you're dying to share the ID of your secret sauce, or you're afraid to mention it for the umpteenth time. What's the sauce?
    OK, OK, posted here before (Happy Groundhogs Day, Folks)...

I don't have the full formula handy, but this is from the British Journal of Photography yearbook...

DK-50D (two part, diluted)

Mix 1 liter stock/working of DK-50 formula and call it part A...

Then mix part B solution with 40gm Kodalk (sodium metaborate) into 500ml of water...

For diluted working solution, mix 2 parts of A (200ml), 1 part of B (100ml), and 7 parts water (700ml) to make 1 liter working... (Use working solution one-shot...)

Developing times very close to D76 1:1 (around 8 min/68° many med speed films), no speed loss, visible but fine pinpoint (like gravure) grain, semi-compensating, clean working, brilliant tonality, but with edge effects... Highlights don't block up, and I can mix beach bright and night scenes on the same roll... Holds up well to big enlarging...

Suggest exposing med speed film +1/3 stop, and underdeveloping -10% (about a minute less)... The right density for silver enlarging or scanning... Easier to do than to explain...

I spent months doing this research, only to come up with this combination, but here it is... ;-)

This saved me from using Pyro formulas that made a mess, and gave me a severe skin reaction (even when I was careful)...

Enjoy...

Steve K
    Last edited by LabRat; 12-May-2020 at 22:06.

LabRat. I love DK-50 if using large tanks. It also lasts a long time with tank covers and can be replenished.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironage View Post
    LabRat. I love DK-50 if using large tanks. It also lasts a long time with tank covers and can be replenished.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Try the dilute version sometime for a small run... It is a one shot, but note how little solution is used above... Also a good developer for older film due to the restrainer present... Has a finer look for subtle details than stock, and is my go-to for 35mm film + enlargement...

But new sodium metaborate is getting a little harder to source now... Someday I might have to start compounding myself in liquid form, but the liquid ratios are a little screwy...

Carry On!!!

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Miyashiro View Post
    A word about Fomapan 100. My experience is that it builds contrast quickly. I'm new in the lab so stuck with the "one film, one developer" advice and was using Naaco super 76 ( a liquid D-76 clone). I struggled with controlling highlight density in spite of increased dilutions and decreased development times. Finally mixed my own D-76 variant (I've seen it called d-76H or dk-76, anyhow three ingredients) and that so far has been successful although using it at a 1:2 dilution. I don't know how fomapan responds in other developers but this is my experience.

fshmstr
    Been using the DK50D with Foma 100, and can print deep into dense highlights with the negs that don't block up... That film not the best night film due to the reciprocity issues, but even 3 or 4 stop overexposure in bright night highlights is no problem to print... Surprisingly!!!

Steve K