Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Developer Question

Developer Question

Since I just got back into Film a Year ago I always see people talk about Rodinal or Xtol ect. I see Kodak makes the Xtol and D76. I've been using HC-110. Is everyone using Photographer formula for things like Rodinal or Pyrocat? If not, what are you using. I'd like to experiment with other developers just to see what I get. Although I have no complaints with the HC-110, it has been a great developer.

Re: Developer Question

I've had good luck with Foma R-09 (Rodinal) at 1:100, but now I'm also using HC-110 and loving it.

You can find the info about Pyrocat HD and all of it's variations at -https://sandykingphotography.com/resources/technical-writing/pyro-staining-developers

My favorite film developers at the moment are: Pyrocat-HD, HC-110, D-76, Clayton F-76+, and Spur Acurol-N. I typically use a specific developer, for a specific film emulsion, and somewhat for a specific development technique. For example, I love F-76+ with Ilford Delta 100, HC-110 with Tri-X, and I use Pyrocat-HD mostly for minimal agitation techniques. It should be said, however, that each combo I've arrived at has been through careful testing and provides results that I'm looking for. YMMV, of course.

I use D76 for almost everything, but in different concentrations for different purposes, although mostly 1:3 as an one use solution.
    I'm not enchanted with its characteristics, but it is very consistent and I have learned how to use it, relatively cheap and always available. I have always thought that better to know one developer than to use several ones without control. Same with film, I almost exclusively use FP4+.
    From time to time I mix Crawley`s FX-1, which I love because is extremely sharp, but it is not so consistent or long lasting. Anyway, I consider it my favourite right now.
    My life`s favourite has probably been Paterson`s Acutol, now out of production. For a long time I have been looking for the formula, without sucess.
    Another favourite was Rodinal, but stopped using it, with no special reason. Maybe because I changed my taste about the grainy look.
    Time ago mixed some Pyrogallol developers, found them to be the very best ones, but its toxicity keep me away from them.

Main reason I asked is because I'd like to try the Fomapan. I looked through that thread and really like the look. I saw that some used HC-100 but I'd like to try 2 different developers to see the difference in the same shot.

Down the shorter road, you might be a good candidate for mixing your own developers... With just several (not expensive) ingredents, a scale, and a photo cookbook, you can make many different variations and see what works for you...

D23 is the gateway drug... ;-)

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by jtomasella View Post
    Main reason I asked is because I'd like to try the Fomapan. I looked through that thread and really like the look. I saw that some used HC-100 but I'd like to try 2 different developers to see the difference in the same shot.
    I use Pyrocat-HD with Fomapan 100 in both 4x5 and 8x10; one of my favorite combos!

Quote Originally Posted by jtomasella View Post
    Never used Fomapan but from what I read is a classic fine grain kind of film; it will be fine with classic developers.
    I'd say you should know first what kind of developer/results you are looking for; fine grain and resolution (solvent) vs sharpness and graininess (non-solvent), etc. If you try the two extremes it will be easier to see the differences. Pyro developers are different.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    D23 is the gateway drug... ;-)
    Oh, don't Steve.....i've only recently gotten my head (and hands) around Pyrocat HD

Mike