Thread: Still Life Lenses for 8x10

Still Life Lenses for 8x10

Hello!

I'm looking for suggestions and sample images from lenses that are about 210-240mm in focal length. I plan to use them mostly for still life and for portraits occasionally.

To be mounted on a triple extension Deardorff.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Re: Still Life Lenses for 8x10

That is a very wide category. What qualities are you looking for?
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    That is a very wide category. What qualities are you looking for?
    I'm looking for a focal length that would give me 1:1 and a little wiggle room beyond that relative to my bellows draw top of mind.

Looking for recommendations and or if anybody can point out unique characteristics for some of these lenses that might/might not be pleasing to some.

Virtually any lens of sufficient image circle for 8x10 at infinity will "give" 1:1 or life-size on the ground glass_8x10 film given enough bellows. Achieving 1:1 is not an issue. The great challenge and difficult with 8x10 at 1:1 or life size is what is in focus -vs- what is not in focus. If the object to be photograph on 8x10 at 1:1 is less than flat, focus can become a serious problem regardless of any lens used. Stopping down in a effort to achieve what appears to be in focus enforces a different set of trade-offs. These are the realities of 8x10 images at these image reproduction ratios.

That said, consider any good APO process lens, APO artar, APO nikkor, APO ronar and similar. At 1:1 focal lengths short as 300mm / 12" should easily cover 8x10 at 1:1 image reproduction ratio. Preferred choice for a lens will come from trying the ALL out to figure out what lens fits your print image goals best, ALL lenses are a mixed set of trade-offs with a number of fixed limitations that are absolute-not changeable.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenestanislao View Post
    I'm looking for a focal length that would give me 1:1 and a little wiggle room beyond that relative to my bellows draw top of mind.

Looking for recommendations and or if anybody can point out unique characteristics for some of these lenses that might/might not be pleasing to some.

Perhaps one of the g-clarons would fit the bill if you want a very sharp lens. There is a 210mm, a 240mm, and a 270mm. All three will cover easily at 1:1. The 210 just covers at infinity. The 270mm may be pushing your bellows at 1:1.
    -Chris

Like Bernice and Chris suggested, I'd personally use a 240 G-Claron. L

Drew Wiley

Bernice already suggested apo process lenses, which should be of the 4-element design if chosen. If you want to go with a plasmat design instead, both the Fujinon A series and Schneider G-Claron series are specially corrected for close-range use, but excellent all the way to infinity too.