Thread: Cutting Roll Paper - Using Large Format Inkjet Printer? Or Any Other Devices?

Cutting Roll Paper - Using Large Format Inkjet Printer? Or Any Other Devices?

Greetings everyone,

Hope you all are safe.

Does anyone have an experience using large format or wide format inkjet printers to cut negative roll paper into sheets?

From researching forums, people all seem to have their own way to cut roll paper with manual rotary cutters
    but I was wondering if anyone knows a device that can do it automatically?
    (Be it a stand alone device or modding/hacking/diy-ing with a inkjet printer.

I've read of automatic paper cutters, but they are very expensive or the not in production models that people are using are not very reliable
    (the moving parts and even the circuit boards).

Thank so much in advance for any help and advice you can offer!
    Be safe everyone

Sincerely,
    Kevin H.

Drew Wiley

Re: Cutting Roll Paper - Using Large Format Inkjet Printer? Or Any Other Devices?

What do you mean by negative roll paper - something like RA4 printing paper? How big a roll? I use a 42 inch dual-bar Rotatrim mounted dead level to a big formica coated table which has both a stainless steel squaring arm as well as insert positions for length size. The roll holders are slightly below. I don't know what you mean by expensive. But a setup like mine can be done for a few hundred dollars if you are good with shop skills. That's a tiny amount compared to automated XY lab roll cutters. I was offered one of those for free, but still turned it down because I don't want to fuss with any tricky electronics maintenance.
    The simpler the better.

Re: Cutting Roll Paper - Using Large Format Inkjet Printer? Or Any Other Devices?

Hello Drew Wiley!

Thank you so much for your reply!

I mean I want work with Fujifilm Crystal Archive color negative paper and will hopefully be using a lot of it in the 24"by32" size.
    Thus I'm looking to see if anyone has a really time efficient/hassle efficient workflow/process.
    Ideally, I would like to find a durable and accurate machine to do the cutting.

Oh, sorry, you are right, there are cheap rotary cutters out there, I was one some sites and wide / large format cutters were in the 1000's of dollars.

Thanks, I will consider manually cutting but will look into these xy cutters.

Thanks again!
    Cheers!

Perhaps vinyl cutters? They run between $250-$600 at the auction site.

I'm sure you can get a good rotary cutter for that price, but your call whether you want electronic or manual cutting.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Used a EPSON 7800 printer for the longest time till I moved and it was relegated to the basement. Then got a EPSON 4900 which easily fit on an oak table in my office. Had about a dozen 24" rolls of paper which I needed to cut them down to sheets to run through the 4900. Acquired a Dahle 554 Professional Rotary Trimmer (28"). On a large dedicated work table in the basement it is secured to the top of the work table. Then simply fabricated a stand to hold the 24" rolls of paper. Then fabricated a squaring arm that was also secured to the work table. For a paper stop I used two long bar magnets mounted to the table. A piece of steel can be moved along the bar magnets for the length of the paper. Simply works for me. Would also work for cutting RA4 printing paper in the dark. On my cut sheets of paper always mark a small "x" on one corner of the backside. The paper stop resting on top of the bar magnets will be replaced soon... too easy to accidentally move the paper stop on top of them.

Hello ghostcount!
    Oh, thank so much for the option/advice!
    I sent some emails to some vinyl cutters just now to see if they would work in proper advancing of the roll paper and cut at the desired length reliably.
    But I did find some at decent prices!
    Thanks so much! This might work.

Hello Greg!
    Thank so much for sharing your experiences!
    Did you find the printers were reliable/accurate and durable?
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Qeb View Post
    Hello ghostcount!
    Oh, thank so much for the option/advice!
    I sent some emails to some vinyl cutters just now to see if they would work in proper advancing of the roll paper and cut at the desired length reliably.
    But I did find some at decent prices!
    Thanks so much! This might work.

I use mine to cut rolled bond paper. The cutters typically have cutting force adjustment for various paper thickness.

Best of luck.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Quote Originally Posted by Qeb View Post
    Hello Greg!
    Thank so much for sharing your experiences!
    Did you find the printers were reliable/accurate and durable?
    Thanks again
    EPSON 7800: Never a problem with it. After almost 6 years of not using it, got it back up and running in one day.
    EPSON 4900: Love it. Excellent for making digital negatives. If one uses it regularly on a weekly basis, the heads never clog up.