Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	204374

And at f9.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crop9.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	204375

At f12.5 appears the same. (Closing down more, the image deteriorates and the glass air bubbles begin to appear on the image.)
    Also a quick check on a 13X18 camera saw that there is heavy vigneting with lens closed down even at f12.5.

Serial number of the camera begin with D letter and shutter serial number is 213399. From what i can tell this must be a camera from around 1913/14.
    Also this vertical type of Toska camera can not be found in catalogs after WWI as far as i know.

Is there any chart with Compound shutter serial numbers somewhere?

Re: Old ICA lens question

Quote Originally Posted by chris73 View Post

Is there any chart with Compound shutter serial numbers somewhere?
    Sort of. P-H Pont's little book Les Chiffres Cles has it. Unfortunately it is out of print.

I have a copy, post the s/n.

Thanks. Shutter serial number is 213399

Pont's Deckel list starts at ~ 250,000 in 1914

Interesting... Yours is a 135mm, mine is a 120mm.

Serial numbers on mine appear to match-- 504439 on the front, and 4439 on the rear set.

From the 1919 ICA catalog, it looks like yours has the "Kompur Model XI" shutter. Also, the ICA logo is still the 5-pointed star, so it's an early model. I believe, based on what I've been able to discover, that the lens (and your camera) are by Hüttig.

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    Sorry, should have mentioned. 120mm f/5.4 in a dial-set Compur shutter.

Here's a slightly rough picture:

Attachment 203390

And the back (the smudges are near the outer edge in the lower right area, unfortunately near the light reflection):

Attachment 203389
    Nice configuration. I seem to have a comparable shutter albeit with a Hugo Meyer wide-angle Aristostigmat f 9 120mm - it sits on one of my ICA Tropica camera's.

The inner tube is in my case almost 27mm (i.e. 26,94mm)
    The face of my shutter measures the same as yours, so it should be the smallest 0-model in the below list (of course your inner tube diameter could differ):

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    Maybe you can determine if it fits one of the dial-set Compur sizes here: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...+Jena+15cm+3.5

See post number 7. Unfortunately this doesn't give the face diameter but only the inside diameter of the thread for the cell mounting. I have several dial-set Compurs, they are all about 3" in diameter.

David
    So I guess David was at the right spot....

...further a little response to #21
    What looks like an 'f' in "Metallauslofung" is an old German 's' , so with the 'f' it was probably mistranslated in opening (öffnung), but with a 's' it reads as Metallauslösung, which translates - roughly - into "cable release"
    Last edited by Ron (Netherlands); 6-Jun-2020 at 16:58.

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    Nice configuration.

I seem to have a comparable shutter albeit with a Hugo Meyer wide-angle Aristostigmat f 9 120mm - it sits on one of my ICA Tropica camera's.
    Thanks. Mine came without a camera-- I've considered getting one of the 9x12 cameras for it, but the film is kind of rare on this side of the Atlantic.

I wonder when they switched from "Z" (Zeit) to "T" (Time) on the dial-set? Or was mine made for the German market, and yours an export?

The inner tube is in my case almost 27mm (i.e. 26,94mm)
    The face of my shutter measures the same as yours, so it should be the smallest 0-model in the below list (of course your inner tube diameter could differ):
    Mine's been shipped off for repair, but since the diameter for the mounting threads is ~32.5mm, 27mm is probably about right.

...further a little response to #21

What looks like an 'f' in "Metallauslofung" is an old German 's' , so with the 'f' it was probably mistranslated in opening (öffnung), but with a 's' it reads as Metallauslösung, which translates - roughly - into "cable release"
    I'm guilty there-- I did a quick OCR of the PDF of the catalog, and of course its printed in a period script, so sometimes the 'f' and the 's' are difficult to tell apart. Equally, my German is not just rusty, it's almost totally oxidized, so I relied on a translation engine.

I later went back and spent some time cleaning up the OCR, and doing a much better translation.

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    I wonder when they switched from "Z" (Zeit) to "T" (Time) on the dial-set? Or was mine made for the German market, and yours an export?
    Welcome, and very well spotted! I hadn't even noticed that difference yesterday evening....you must be right about the export and local market for which these shutters where made.
    There is also another small difference between the shutters: yours has the letters I C A near and in the 5-point star - whereas mine only has that star on the dial without the letters.
    For your info, the serial on my shutter reads: 308337
    Further my shutter has some screw holes at the back for attaching the bayonet tabs which are still on yours (I believe I took the tabs off some time ago, to attach the shutter on another camera - so must be still around somewhere)
    Last edited by Ron (Netherlands); 7-Jun-2020 at 14:42.

My Flickr

As a followup-- I sent the lens off for repair to Mike Trost of Phototronic (aka "Fix Old Cameras"), and he discovered that at some point, the shutter had been repaired and a (presumably) damaged aperture leaf had been replaced with a leaf that fit, but wasn't the right shape. So the shutter was fine, it just looked peculiar.

After digging through his collection of spares, Mike was able to find a leaf of the right size/shape and replace the odd one. So now my lens once again has a round aperture, instead of a tear-drop shape and a hinky bokeh. While he had it apart, he gave it a CLA, and it's working like a champ-- hopefully it's good for another few decades.
    Last edited by grat; 25-Jul-2020 at 17:47.