Thread: Unicolor 8x10 Unidrum Clips

Unicolor 8x10 Unidrum Clips

Not sure if this is the right forum, but does anyone have suggestions on how to find or make the little rubber clips that go in the 8x10 unidrum tank to keep two 4x5 sheets appart? An 8x10 tank will hold four sheets of 4x5 film. Without the clips, the sheets slide in front of each other, so that the sheet in the back is not properly developed. Not sure if Jobo has a similar product. If anyone has a source, or any ideas on making them, pls PM me or respond to this thread. Thank you, Luis

Re: Unicolor 8x10 Unidrum Clips

There's a picture of the original rubber block with a V-shaped slit about 1/3 of the way down the page at https://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/. The person who wrote that page used spring loaded plastic clips instead. I have been intending to make a replacement for the rubber clip by cutting slots in a piece of soft plastic or rubber, like a plastic eraser, but I haven't gotten around to using the drum for this yet.

A copy can be made using a rubber (plastic) eraser or appropriate size. cut a "V" in the middle of the long edge. It must be a cutout, not a simple slice through the eraser. It should be at the same angle as the ribs,and about 1/4" deep.

Hey Luis, I have made the rubber clips from these https://www.harborfreight.com/15-in-...-Pc-63345.html
    I cut them into 1 1/8" long pieces and cut a V to match the one in the unicolor drum.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200503_064455.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	203369 I think you can buy them individually too at farm stores. I can't remember where I got mine as it was over ten years ago. Test with some old negs to see if it holds them without slipping, the V is the key. The straps may smell when new, so easy them in soapy water and leave them to soak awhile. Hope this helps.

Luis, you may not remember but several years ago you just gave me a lens board that I needed to get my DeVere 5108 going. Time to repay your kindness! I have two of these rubber clips I would be happy to send you if you pm me your address.
    Terry

I'll bet they could be 3D printed out of flexible TPU filament.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/