Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Lightbox for film scanning

Drew Wiley

Re: Lightbox for film scanning

I never take anything manufactured for granted. The only near-perfectly illuminated and true 5000K at the surface light box I've ever seen is the one I modified myself, or essentially rebuilt entirely. Only the outside housing and sockets of the original remained. This relies upon true 98CRI color matching tubes.
    Equivalent LED strips have to be ganged together and well diffused to work in this manner. There is a patented kind in which the blue elements are overlaid with violet filters to truncate any cyan bias in these. You can't just buy a bulb. Expect to spend hundreds of dollars for the correct LED strips alone, plus a dedicated power converter. I'm speaking of course about high-end color evaluation or top quality copy lighting. For just casual applications like web work, there are cheaper options. But there too, you get what you pay for. If the price seems to good to be true, something will indeed be way off.
    Very few light boxes rated this or that even bother to take into account secondary variables which affect the final output. Once you pull out an actual color temp meter, it's like walking into a cave filled with cobwebs and bat droppings. Truth in labeling diminishes in direct proportion to the degree something is considered an amateur bargain product versus a professional item.

If I may ask, what specific features in the Sony A7R4 describe the pixel shifting image making? I don't really see this in the Sony A7R4 specs so perhaps there is something in terms of features that enable this, or maybe not... and it's just technique? Yes, the "tool or technique" question. And if the latter, is there a youtube or article on this somewhere someone kind could point me to?

The reason I'm curious is that I've been there done that with the A7 series, and it was good while it lasted - until the usual Sony sliding sensor event (twice in my case), I'd prefer to stay "done" with the Sony folks. Fact is I'm gentle with cameras, so I dumped Sony and all my Zeiss lenses and would prefer to stick with after acquired Nikon gear. Shooting mostly film, my current DSLR is a Nikon D750 which is fine at 24mb for most of my needs and sits on my Kaiser copy stand most of the time (except in special needs - like family events). Eventually I'd expect to get back to 42mb files and mirrorless - preferably in a Nikon Z. As it stands, I can't tell whether it's up to the job... or maybe even my D750 would serve as a starting point.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau View Post
    If I may ask, what specific features in the Sony A7R4 describe the pixel shifting image making? I don't really see this in the Sony A7R4 specs so perhaps there is something in terms of features that enable this, or maybe not... and it's just technique? Yes, the "tool or technique" question. And if the latter, is there a youtube or article on this somewhere someone kind could point me to?
    Here is a video that describes the mechanism.
    The pixel shift mode is enabled in the menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwwzM81k5VE

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

The D750 should serve as a good starting point! I could do better than an Epson with a D200.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Studio Madbird

Hi-

I commandeered my wife’s old ipad (i think it may be the very first ipad ever made) as a light source for dslr scanning 4x5 negs. I use an app called isoftbox- maybe the only app that this ipad can still run- that allows amazing control of hue and saturation and brightness. The neg sits several inches above the ipad in an empty picture frame (as a holder) and it works fabulous.