Thread: Durst Nega 138 alternatives?

Durst Nega 138 alternatives?

So I’ve been on the search for a nega138 and keep coming up empty or find it too late. I was gifted a durst laborator s-45 last July and then moved a few months after into a new home. I’m finally at a point (thanks to quarantine) where I’m getting my darkroom set up again and really want to put this enlarger to use. Along with the enlarger I was given a makeshift/aftermarket negative carrier that works... ok, but I want to get the right equipment for this enlarger. Has anyone ever had this carrier fabricated themselves, like machined, or found an alternative that doesn’t include just cutting card stock? I’ve had the card stock thing suggested, I’ve had people suggest that I buy and entire enlarger system just for the negative carrier, and so forth. You know, internet advice. I’d like something that’s pretty snug and is as close to the nega138 as possible. Thanks!

Re: Durst Nega 138 alternatives?

The Nega138 carriers are not that rare, keep at it and you will find one. There were also aftermarket carriers which were made for them. I use a Carlwen for 120 and 35mm roll film which I like. They also came for 4x5. These are glassless carriers, so don't work as well as the Nega138 carriers for 5x7 or 6x17, but are great for smaller film.

Do strive for a Nega 138, they are out there. Nega 138 is very well made and does an excellent job securing film to be printed. It is also variable with inserts, from no glass 35mm to glass top-bottom. Conditions makes a difference, they are absolutely excellent when in very good condition, when worn they are not as nice.

Bernice

As luck would have it, I was able to score one here in the states, with glass, that is in pristine condition. A hair above my budget, but the price in its condition was really good and, therefore, worth it. Should be here Thursday. Can’t wait!

Drew Wiley

I've seen good NEGA 138's going all the way from $30 to $1200. As long as the clips aren't broken, it's easy to replace the dark vellum and recondition them. Finding replacement glass is a harder issue if the carrier doesn't come with it. Sometimes you have to be patient. It would certainly be possible to fabricate your own carriers if you have some shop skills, or have a friend competent with CNC equipment. But there were several other compatible 138 carriers. I haven't bothered to refurbish any of the older non-clamshell ones, though they would obviously work if I tried. The pin-registered ones are going to be even more expensive and rare than the Nega 138's, so I won't elaborate on those. ... But you've just posted you found one. Congratulations, and be very careful handling that glass, because it can be hard to replace!

Honestly it’s not me I’m worried about in handling the glass right now. It’s the various hands it will pass through on its way here that I do worry about.