Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ilford ULF annual film order 2020

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ilford ULF annual film order 2020

Usually around this time of year we get word that we can put in our order for ULF with Ilford. However, I haven't heard anything about that this year. Did I miss the announcement? If not, has anyone heard anything?

Re: Ilford ULF annual film order

Nothing from Harman Technology yet. However, in light of their current production shutdown and employee furloughs because of covid-19, I think we have to expect a delay compared to prior years. When they are finally free to resume production they will need to re-do their entire plan for remainder of the year. Although they haven't said anything, it seems plausible that they might need to prioritize production of standard sizes to refill the retail supply chain before they can turn again to ULF production.

I plan to get into 4x10 soon. Where do users order their ULF film? I don’t know how this works? Place a special order with B&H or from any dealer? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
    I plan to get into 4x10 soon. Where do users order their ULF film? I don’t know how this works? Place a special order with B&H or from any dealer? Thanks.
    Ilford/Harman announces an order period, a list of items being offered, and a list of participating dealers. Purchasers are free to shop around and place their orders at any of the participating dealers. In general B&H has not been a participating dealer, but there have been plenty of other choices in the US, as well as several in other countries. At the end of the order period, Ilford compiles the orders and makes production plans. In prior years production has occurred over the summer, with delivery in early fall. However, what they will be able to do this year remains to be seen.

Thanks Oren for the valuable info. I see on B&H right now there is a special order option for 4x10 and other sized with a minimum of 20 boxes. I guess they get it from one of the participating dealers when the time comes.

Actually, it has been possible to place orders for special sizes at times other than the special order period, *if* you are willing to meet a large minimum order requirement as in that B&H listing. What's special about the "special" period is that during that time individuals can place small orders - even only a box or two - for any of the sizes listed, and Ilford is committed to produce those sizes even if the aggregate order for particular stock numbers is smaller than their usual minimum. The only exception has been a handful of long-roll products, where it's infeasible to cut only a handful of rolls from the master roll.

Here's hoping that Harman will be able to recover from the shutdown in good enough shape to be able to resume this special service.

Oh I see. Makes perfect sense. I suppose committing to 500 sheets of fresh film that can used over 10 years won’t be a huge burden. Certainly something to think about. Thanks again!

I thought that the COVID maybe causing the delay but when you go to their web page all they say is that there may be a delay in you getting shipment. Kind of nebulous statement. I have emailed them asking about the order. If I here back from them I will post their response here.

Not just their shutdown, but covid is wreaking havoc with global shipping.

No surprise that their ULF special has been delayed
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Ilford 2020 ULF

Since I ordered my new 5x12 camera I am going to need some film. Does anyone have any info on the 2020 Ilford ULF special order program? Nothing pops up in search except for 2019 which ended in May 2019. Or is there some 5x12 FP4+ out there somewhere.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography