Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this frame around the photo

What is this frame around the photo

I understand this frame comes from this specific film, and probably in many cases is supposed to be cropped, but this photographer chose to leave it as an interesting effect. But is this only on a LF films, or even medium or 35mm films has it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47-act23.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	203278

Re: What is this frame around the photo

That's the rebate edge of the film, the part that didn't get exposed to light because it was under the film guides in the film holder.
    Kodak and Fuji usually imprint the edge with the film type for color film.
    Cropping is subjective.

Drew Wiley

Since an official code notch is only on the corner of one end, something has been deliberately doctored, probably digitally. The coloration is not even typical of that particular film, 160 VC, which would appear in the border anyway, if this were a direct representation. It's been tricked out in more than one way.

Thanks, but is this border appear just on the medium and large format cameras? I've never seen it on 35mm

Drew Wiley

Code notches are only on sheet film. 35mm film borders would have sprocket holes. Somehow they started with a 4x5 sheet then probably digitally fooled around with it. The notches on the sides look faked to me. "Rebate"?? That's Brit talk for a rabbet, where you don't get any money back! What on earth kind of film holder would produce that pattern on the sides, or move the film wording onto the image area itself at the top, not even covered by a top flap? Maybe there is a better explanation than I've given, but it doesn't resemble anything I've ever seen; and I've shot plenty of that particular film in 4x5, including in packet or Readyload version.

Here maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Code notches are only on sheet film. Somehow they started with a 4x5 sheet then digitally fooled around with it. The tapered side borders and notches on the sides are faked. I get annoyed enough when people file and then deliberately print the borders of negative carriers. Guess this person is trying to start another pointless "creative" fad.
    It may not be film at all, just digital tomfoolery.

It's not photoshopped, that's for sure. This is Dan Winters' photo, the very famous photographer who shot celebrities, aerospace and other things, on film for decades. I don't say this photo is not manipulated in terms of colors, maybe some dodge and burn, but I can bet it was shoot on film and that frame is the original.

https://www.danwintersphoto.com

But it's interesting, how computers and photoshop devaluated the true masters' work in a way. Very few knows how to use lighting, medium or large format camera to make an image like this. And many more knows how to snap the frame in the photoshop (including me).

Reminds me of the story of the very famous opera singer, or some musician whose tickets sells for thousands of dollars and then they made an experiment where he performed on the street, and people though he's a street performer, almost homeless, no one even noticed his brilliant voice and singing abilities just because people are used that street performers, are just that - a street performers. But that's another story

Drew Wiley

Be specific - how is the frame original? What kind of holder would leave that side pattern? And I don't see a darn thing remarkable about the portrait itself, except for printing goofy edges.

By original I mean it's not added in photoshop. What kind of holder - I don't know, I actually came here to ask you if read my original post

You can find Dan's work from 70s and 80s, all having frames. This is kind of his signature, I'd say.

Here are some of his really old photos he took as a student in his 20s. Not all of these are that old, but some.

https://www.danwintersphoto.com/PEOP...thumbs-caption
    https://www.danwintersphoto.com/PEOP...thumbs-caption