Thread: Converting a 4x5 Sinar X to an 8x10 P?

Converting a 4x5 Sinar X to an 8x10 P?

Never thought that I would be considering converting my 4x5 X to an 8x10 P, but now the very good possibility of acquiring the 8x10 frame and back from a P for very little money. I have read that this is possible, though not easy. Has anyone out there done this? Obviously there will be some limitations when comparing it to a 100% 8x10 P, but I could easily live with some limitations.
    thanks

Carpenter

Re: Converting a 4x5 Sinar X to an 8x10 P?

I think it’d be easier to buy the rear P standard bearer for your conversion. Not sure what’s involved with the X modification, but buying the right part might be the path of least resistance.

Drew Wiley

The X is basically a later 4x5 P minus all the graduated markings. But there were different series of P's, and ordinarily an 8x10 rear would be more solidly supported than a 4x5. Sometimes it's cheaper to pick up a whole 8x10 Sinar than just the 8x10 back end complete with frame, plus a bellows too. If you end up with a hybrid, the 4x5 front standard would also need to be elevated higher than normal to get it centered on the larger film size. Not a deal breaker, but you should be aware of it. If it were me I'd want to go back into the literature and see if certain other features were absent from the X which were standard on later P's which might cause an issue before buying components.

Convert a 4x5 Sinar X to 8x10, yes, sort of.

The Sinar 8x10 P is an "odd duck" Sinar made a rear standard specific to the 8x10 frame due to weight/size . It has a two support post instead of a single post used on 4x5 and 5x7 (that format swap is simple-easy). The 8x10 P front standard has a longer rise due to the need for a higher front standard location required for 8x10. That said, could a 4x5 P be converted to 8x10 yes, BUT it's camera movements are restricted compared to a real Sinar 8x10.

Other stuff to consider, there were different versions of the bellows for Sinar 8x10. It's been too many decades since the Sinar 8x10 P days, don't remember the specific differences, know there are differences.

Regardless, Sinar 8x10 P is BIG-HEAVY view camera, very nice to use and if OEM Sinar 8x10 P, IMO, one of the nicest indoor-studio 8x10 mono rail cameras made.

And yes, I've got most if not all the Sinar catalog stuff from that era from series one P to P2 (black).

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Never thought that I would be considering converting my 4x5 X to an 8x10 P, but now the very good possibility of acquiring the 8x10 frame and back from a P for very little money. I have read that this is possible, though not easy. Has anyone out there done this? Obviously there will be some limitations when comparing it to a 100% 8x10 P, but I could easily live with some limitations.
    thanks

Thanks for the posts. Looked carefully at the back of the X and adapting an 8x10 back to it possible, but looks to be too much trouble to me. Would end up hacking the rear of the X which would look to be irreversible. Had used an 8x10 P mostly in the 1980s and really loved it... I'm afraid that an adapted 8x10 frame on the X, it just wouldn't be the same camera/experience.

Film format frame change is quick, simple, easy.

Disconnect the bellows from the front standard.

Turn the frame lock know on the lower right hand corner of the film carrier frame counter-clockwise until the frame is removable. Make sure to hold on the the film carrier frame while the lock knob is loosened. Once the rear film frame has dis-engaged, lift the entire assembly off the rear standard.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinar rear frame change..jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	203400

Pick a rear film frame format of choice, place the socket on the film frame on to the pin on the rear standard, tighten the lock knob clock-wise, re-attach the bellows to the front standard, adjust-center the rear to front standards positions, done.

Alternative is to have the rear film carrier frame on a spare rear standard with bellows. In this case, disconnect the bellows at the front, slide off the entire rear standard, slide the chosen rear assembly on to the rail, connect the bellows to the front standard, adjust-center.. done.

Not difficult to do at all, just the trade-offs of restricted camera movements for 8x10 conversion with the 4x5 or 5x7 front-rear standards.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Film format frame change is quick, simple, easy.

Disconnect the bellows from the front standard.

Turn the frame lock know on the lower right hand corner of the film carrier frame counter-clockwise until the frame is removable. Make sure to hold on the the film carrier frame while the lock knob is loosened. Once the rear film frame has dis-engaged, lift the entire assembly off the rear standard.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinar rear frame change..jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	203400

Pick a rear film frame format of choice, place the socket on the film frame on to the pin on the rear standard, tighten the lock knob clock-wise, re-attach the bellows to the front standard, adjust-center the rear to front standards positions, done.

Alternative is to have the rear film carrier frame on a spare rear standard with bellows. In this case, disconnect the bellows at the front, slide off the entire rear standard, slide the chosen rear assembly on to the rail, connect the bellows to the front standard, adjust-center.. done.

Not difficult to do at all, just the trade-offs of restricted camera movements for 8x10 conversion with the 4x5 or 5x7 front-rear standards.

Bernice
    Unfortunately the Sinar X doesn't have that knob to turn to remove the back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SinarXback.jpg  

Look carefully at the side of the rear film carrier frame where the frame removal knob once was, there will be a hidden set screw where the removal knob once was. Sinar X was a marketing driven offering as 4x5 centric camera. Many of these Sinar X have been converted to the common removable rear frame carrier found on a normal Sinar P.

~Check this,
    Bernice

Unfortunately the Sinar X doesn't have that knob to turn to remove the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Look carefully at the side of the rear film carrier frame where the frame removal knob once was, there will be a hidden set screw where the removal knob once was. Sinar X was a marketing driven offering as 4x5 centric camera. Many of these Sinar X have been converted to the common removable rear frame carrier found on a normal Sinar P.

~Check this,
    Bernice
    Mine is different, the screw was hidden under a black cap at the bottom of the 4x5 back (image attached with cap removed). For whatever reason the black cap was glued? in place and I had to break it to remove it. But at least now I can seriously consider using the X as an 8x10 X.
    thanks Bernice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SinarXbackscrew.jpg  

That IS the "screw" un-do it to remove the rear frame.

Bernice

Mine is different, the screw was hidden under a black cap at the bottom of the 4x5 back (image attached with cap removed). For whatever reason the black cap was glued? in place and I had to break it to remove it. But at least now I can seriously consider using the X as an 8x10 X.
    thanks Bernice