Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Restoring my "new" Agfa Ansco 8x10.

Re: Restoring my "new" Agfa Ansco 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Going to try this on a warped 11X14 plate holder. I already tried damp warm towels with over correcting clamps
    Also search for "neck oven" for luthier/guitar repair... Is used to straighten guitar necks that are over tweaked... Maybe Michael Darnton can comment about this???

I've done this for guitar repair, but note this will melt hide glue normally used to bond joints and lamination...

Steve K

Heat works wonders for melting wood, but I've never tried something complex like a film holder. If the wood is dry, the hide glue should mostly survive. If I were going to experiment, I'd put a holder in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes then pull it out, wrestle it flat, then put it on something really flat and pile weight on it for an hour. Wood starts brown like cookies just over 375 and start to char. I doubt the paint would survive, but you never know.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

But the other thing I should warn about wood heating is the hardwood becomes like heated plastic that can be bent easily, so you have to think through jigging the piece carefully so some other part gets bent and sets that way (even clamps on the wood can leave a permanent impression)... I've done it at lower temps (under 150°) where the wood holds its shape better...

It can get like "wack-a-mole" trying to fix something else that happens, and there is a chance of expansion, so practice on much junk first...

Steve K

I tested this on an old, beat up, but mostly light-tight 8x10 holder today. Works like a charm - held the warped light trap over a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes, clamped it up and after a couple of hours it came out almost perfect. We'll see if it's going to hold its shape through the morning.
    I still don't think I'm going to use it on the camera - I'm too far along to go back to square one. I want to get this thing put together and take it out for a spin relatively soon. The warps aren't bad enough to risk screwing things up after all the work I've done on it already.

For what it's worth, the film holder has mostly held its shape overnight, which probably means it'll be OK for at least a while. I can always re-steam it if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyg View Post
    After considering some options I've decided for a minimal cleaning of the brass hardware, to retain as much of the patina on it as possible. There's not much I find more off-putting than shiny brass. I know lots of people love it, but I just can't stand the stuff. Still considering painting it flat black, but I'm worried it'll just start coming off after a few times in the field. Before the virus I had access to a powder-coating station, but I don't want to wait until the all-clear.
    I love seeing a basket case brought back to life. Well done. I can recommend an alternative to painting or powder coating metal parts and it holds up to handling better than paint. Apply Birchwood Casey Brass Black by rubbing it on the part and stop when you see the depth and color that appeals to you. On cleaned brass the color will vary from yellow, gold, bronze, brown and eventually a deep black. You can spray on a clear coat afterward but I haven't bothered doing that with my projects.

I look forward to seeing your completed project.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by RedGreenBlue View Post
    I can recommend an alternative to painting or powder coating metal parts and it holds up to handling better than paint. Apply Birchwood Casey Brass Black by rubbing it on the part and stop when you see the depth and color that appeals to you. On cleaned brass the color will vary from yellow, gold, bronze, brown and eventually a deep black. You can spray on a clear coat afterward but I haven't bothered doing that with my projects.
    Scott
    Thanks, Scott. Funny, you're already the second person to suggest a gunsmithing finish (the first was TruOil gun stock finish for the wood). I guess it makes sense - you want your guns to look good and handle well. Unfortunately I'm already too far along, with much of the hardware reinstalled, so maybe I'll save it for another project. Certainly looks like a useful product.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyg View Post
    Thanks, Scott. Funny, you're already the second person to suggest a gunsmithing finish (the first was TruOil gun stock finish for the wood). I guess it makes sense - you want your guns to look good and handle well. Unfortunately I'm already too far along, with much of the hardware reinstalled, so maybe I'll save it for another project. Certainly looks like a useful product.
    That's calling the camera a real "son-of-a-gun"... ;-)

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    That's calling the camera a real "son-of-a-gun"... ;-)
    It's for real high-caliber finishes.

Simon: As I started searching the forum for restoring 8x10 Agfa Ansco cameras, I came across your restoration project. I am thoroughly in awe of what you took on. Anyway, I have just sourced an Agfa Ansco Commerial (battleship grey, nickel plate hardware), and am about to start the restoration. The camera has been worked hard and taken a few lumps on the way, but I look forward to getting it to new "user" shape. I think I'll be going back over this thread for inspiration and advice.

Iain