Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An imagined LED enlarger light source for 4x5 -- NEW INFO FOR TECHNICIANS

Eric Woodbury

Re: An imagined LED enlarger light source for 4x5 -- NEW INFO FOR TECHNICIANS

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    If Samy's is still around in SB, ask there if anybody knows of anybody trying to get rid of one?
    Samy's in SB is gone. When I first came to Santa Barbara in 1975, there were more photo stores than one could count. Now there is none. On the other hand, I'd wager there have been more digital sensors designed in this town than any other. I've worked on over 75 different digital imagers in my career.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Drew Wiley

Wow. How does anyone afford to live there? Before my brother passed away he sold his tiny little beach house, but to avoid capital gains tax, exchanged it for seven big new resort homes in Oregon. That was a long time ago. He was four houses from the beach cliff, which of course is a crumbly thing. And the last time I visited there he was three houses from the beach! I walked to the end of the street, and there was a house upside-down laying in the sand below.

Eric Woodbury

Drew, it's the same question we ask of SF? Despite my postal address, I don't live in SB.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

I’m gonna sound like a broken record, but as I’ve posted before, I still think that the Intrepid Camera Company’s LED enlarger kit could be made to work on an Omega D2. The light source is big enough to cover a 4x5 negative, and it comes with a timer.

Drew Wiley

Work doing exactly what? I sometimes see people driving on the freeway with three temporary spares, and one under-inflated full tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Work doing exactly what? I sometimes see people driving on the freeway with three temporary spares, and one under-inflated full tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Well, maybe my brain has atrophied during this pandemic isolation, but it sure looks as if it could be adapted. But I’ve been wrong many times before, and no doubt I’m wrong about this, too.

This can absolutely be done. It's not very hard. I don't print color at the moment, but when I get back to it, I'll build an RGB additive color head along the lines of the Philips enlargers.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Drew Wiley

You want to what??? Build a buggy resembling one before roads were paved or shock absorbers invented? Subtractive CMY colorheads are routine because practical RGB additive heads are far more difficult to engineer and realistically require much more light due to much denser sharp-cutting filters. The old Phillips concept was a toy. I know darn well what's involved designing and operating an additive head with some real punch and color purity to it. I've built two of them, and it wasn't a simple task. And at this stage of history, doing so with LED arrays would be like trying to put out a forest fire with a squirt gun. It might work for small prints, so-so hue accuracy, and just having some fun, but seems premature for anything serious.

I am printing with LED sources since years. At first, as the LED sources were too dim, I used to use both LED and Photocrescentas, amongst others.
    I now stopped using Photocrescentas just because results were indistinguishable from white cheap LED sources.
    For sure LED have different chromatic characteristics, intensity changes, longevity, etc. but in real life for
    an amateur printer (amateur doesn`t mean to be low quality, most of us are amateurs than have been printing for decades) they perfectly work. Someone could think that the only way is to have a luxurious Heiland bi-color LED head&controller. Fancy LEDs are obviously better, colour, etc. but not indispensable in my experience.
    Just build a LED source out of white strips, as big and dense as you can, or out of a powerful bulb with a condenser head and use it. With MG filters. I bet you`ll never look back.
    If the source is too dim for your needs, use this experience to made a better, more powerful one. Materials are cheap.
    Of course if you cannot made the housing, you need to buy a manufactured product at a much higher cost.
    Last edited by jose angel; 2-May-2020 at 13:56.