Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix adjustment

Carpenter

Chamonix adjustment

I’ve been using the Chamonix 45f2 for more architecture. I check the back specifically for plumb with a nice little torpedo (Stabila) level but have noticed that the front will need a small amount of tilt to ensure parallelism with the back. I’ve also verified via a precision rule that they are out about 1-2mm.
    The front standard is within its detents (no adjustment on these) and the rear standard is against it’s vertical stops. The stops have some very small allen (or hex) head grub screws that can be driven in or backed off to adjust these stops. Does anyone know the size Allen wrench needed. They are probably ~.5mm- 1mm.
    I’d like to be able to set the camera up and know that the front and rear standards are parallel right from the start.

Re: Chamonix adjustment

They probably are metric. A set of wrenches shouldn't cost more than $4-5. A good investment in your case.

Carpenter

I have many Allen wrenches but this one is particularly small. I’m going to see what the hardware store has and will report back if I can find it.

You can tape a laser pointer to a counter top and aim at the lens with a filter and note where the laser beam shines, then take lens off and the focus screen should reflect back to the same spot.

This gives the hex wrench sizes for metric set (grub) screws: https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...ver-Sizes.aspx

The smallest size screw shown is M1.6. Couldn't immediately find definitive information that in fact this is the smaller size hex socket metric set (grub) screws come in.

David

Carpenter

Hugo has told me that on the H1 the size is 5/64”. I think that the F2 is different. I’ve located the smallest standard size Allen wrench I can find, which is 0.050, and still too big. I’m now ordering any metric size under 1mm and both sizes under .050” in standard. These sizes are .035 and .028. We’ll see...

Carpenter

The metric sizes available under 1mm are .89mm and .71mm. Since Hugo references 5/64” as a size I’m assuming all the hardware is Standard but am ordering the small metric sizes just in case since these little Allen wrenches are so cheap.

While I just love my 4x5 Chamonix for field work, I always use my 4x5 Sinar Norma for shooting architecture. Everything is always in pretty much perfect alignment pretty when I start off with all settings/movements at zero position. Only catch was to acquire a Linhof to Sinar lens board adapter that was solidly made. The first one I got off eBay was so poorly made that the Linhof board could be wiggled easily 1mm.

Carpenter

Believe me each time I’m fiddling with the camera I think of getting a Sinar P or something similar. I’ve had a ton of different cameras and really like the Chamonix for what it is (light weight, sturdy, versatile), but it does leave me wanting in some circumstances. Always wanted and Arca Swiss f-line though...

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
    Believe me each time I’m fiddling with the camera I think of getting a Sinar P or something similar. I’ve had a ton of different cameras and really like the Chamonix for what it is (light weight, sturdy, versatile), but it does leave me wanting in some circumstances. Always wanted and Arca Swiss f-line though...
    A good 4x5 Sinar buy is a Sinar X. It's basically a 4x5 P but with a non-interchangeable 4x5 back. I couldn't resist acquiring one in its original box for under $500 a while back. Have used it for architectural work but always regret not using the Norma instead. For me the X is great for shooting landscapes from the back of my car. Sinar did offer a rather compact (for a monorail camera) gray plastic case (with a strip rainbow colored squares) which holds the X, Auxiliary standard, three lenses , and more. I keep it ready to go all the time and have been carrying it in the back of my small SUV more and more.