Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to Source Gear Rack for 8x10 Kodak 2D

Trying to Source Gear Rack for 8x10 Kodak 2D

I'd like to make a short extension rail to attach to the back of my 2D, maybe 6" in length, maybe a bit longer.
    I'm trying to source the right gear rack to match the one currently on the camera.
    However, specs for new gear tracks are confusing to me. I don't understand pitch and pitch height, so I'm not sure if this would work: https://www.mcmaster.com/brass-gear-...ent~gear-rack/

My 2D uses a track that is 3/16" wide and has 12 teeth per inch.
    Can anyone point me to the correct item, from any supplier?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Trying to Source Gear Rack for 8x10 Kodak 2D

The rack is a nonstandard rack size. It would have to be custom made. Or find a rail and use the rack from it.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Thanks, Richard.
    Does that mean that the spacing between the teeth is non-standard? Or are teeth at a different angle than what's being made now?
    Because a slightly wider track (1/4") could work, if other specs are the same, so what's non-standard about the old Kodak rails?

Standard gear rack made today is 64, 48 ,32 pitch. The gear rack on your camera is closer to a 38 pitch. This is a nonstandard size. You could try the 32 pitch I have used it in the past and it has worked.

Its the spacing. circular pitch for 32 is 0.0982 and the circular pitch for the 38 is 0.0827. That is the distance (spacing) from center to center of the gear teeth.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Thanks very much, Richard.

Hi Ari

From memory, I'm pretty sure that Jim Galli may have collected some of these...................AND it appears from what I've recently seen (and I stand to be put right) that Jim has decided to take a break from posting on here but can be contacted through 'Photrio' where I've seen that you're also a member. Just my few Can cents, hope that it may help...............

regards

Andrew

Sometimes parts for 2Ds are offered on e-Bay. If you can come up with a front rail or the center portion of the bed, you might be able to work with that.

A complete rear extension rail is too precious to cut up in my opinion. There are too many functional 2D cameras lacking the rear rail already.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

How about a 3d printed rack?

Thanks, Andrew, I contacted Jim already, but he doesn't have any parts.
    Drew, if I find an extension rail that fits, obviously I'd prefer that.
    El French, I wish I knew anything about 3d printing, or I'd simply have these rails made that way.

Ari, I was on the lookout for a rear bed extension for my 2D for awhile, and it look about 3 months to find one on eBay. They're out there, but you may have to search for awhile.
    The Eastman View cameras are distinctive from others in having 3 grooves on the side rails, many others only have 2. Often, sellers don't know the make or type of the camera so the ad descriptions can be vague. Searching for something like "antique wood camera part" or "wood rail" will help to find any potential matches. besides searching for the obvious like "Kodak View" or "Eastman View". I had to pixel-peep lots of photos and ask for specific dimensions to be certain.
    Luckily, the one I found was a perfect fit, I just needed to reposition one gear track slightly to mesh with the center block gear.
    Good Luck!