Thread: Rodenstock 90mm 4.5 Grandagon-N questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rodenstock 90mm 4.5 Grandagon-N questions

I'm researching a few 90mm lenses.

I've heard/read a lot of great things about Schneider Super-Angulon MC, and know I don't have the budget or weight allowance for the XL version. While here, I wanted to investigate/compare the Rodenstock Grandagon-N.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the green stripe and non-striped version? From what I've heard and read here (thanks Bob S!) and elsewhere it was mainly a difference in the multicoating, possibly some marketing since all their other lens series had stripes.

Judging from our favorite online flea market, it seems the regular Ns go for roughly $400 used, while the magic green line tends to double the price. So I'm wondering what it is one is paying for when choosing the green line version over the regular one.

I currently have a 210mm and 150mm, both Rody's, and have been 'discovering' more and more scenes and compositions where I wished I had a wider angle of view, most recently while hiking in the mountains. A 90mm has been on my list, so while we're all stuck inside I figured I'd do some research.

Schneider vs Rodenstock vs. etc. comments not needed, there are more than enough threads about that already.
    Last edited by 6x6TLL; 28-Apr-2020 at 22:42.

Re: Rodenstock 90mm 4.5 Grandagon-N questions

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    Judging from our favorite online flea market, it seems the regular Ns go for roughly $400 used, while the magic green line tends to double the price. So I'm wondering what it is one is paying for when choosing the green line version over the regular one.
    The green-line ones are later production runs - check the serial numbers. Bob S has said many times over the years that production standards improved over time. I've never had an opportunity - nor felt any need - to do a side-by-side comparison, but I own both striped and non-striped lenses and I've been very pleased with all of them.

Keep in mind that the same lens is also available under the Sinaron W and Caltar II-N labels. The Caltar-badged version, in particular, is often less expensive. The serial numbers of the Sinaron- and Caltar-labeled versions are in the same sequence as the Rodenstock-labeled ones, so you can still tell which samples are older vs newer if that is a concern.

There were no Rodenstock Apo,Sironar S lenses without a stripe.
    Early Apo Sironar W and Apo Sironar N were available without a stripe.
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 6-Jun-2020 at 08:06.

Rodenstock 90mm f4.5 Grandagon goes back more than a few decades. First I've owned was a MC, then N later on. Found about zero difference between them. The N was sold in trade for the 110mm f5.6 SSXL. Eventually got a MC in Compur shutter as they were not $ some years ago. The 90mm is used on 4x5 (rare today) & 5x7. Last version from Rodenstock was the green stripe version. Not used or owned this version, but would suspect it is no different than the MC or N version. IMO, if you're wanting a 90mm f4.5 Grandagon, any version from MC to Green Stripe should be good long as the lens is in optically good condition. Shutters are usually not too big an issue.

Do consider this is NOT a small or light weight lens. With a front filter size of 82mm and #1 shutter, it is no lightweight or compact. This is the MC version in Compur# 1 shutter mounted on a Sinar board. As yourself, this ok to hike with on mountain trails and such?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90mm f4.5 Grandagon.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	203119

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    I'm researching a few 90mm lenses.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the green stripe and non-striped version? From what I've heard and read here (thanks Bob S!) and elsewhere it was mainly a difference in the multicoating, possibly some marketing since all their other lens series had stripes.

I currently have a 210mm and 150mm, both Rody's, and have been 'discovering' more and more scenes and compositions where I wished I had a wider angle of view, most recently while hiking in the mountains. A 90mm has been on my list, so while we're inside I figured I'd do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Do consider this is NOT a small or light weight lens. With a front filter size of 82mm and #1 shutter, it is no lightweight or compact.
    About 700 g, in case the OP is wondering.

90 6.8 Grandagon-N (multicoated) here....love it! Great performance...compact...covers 5x7 just fine! Surprised that this lens does not seem to grab the amount of attention that other 90's do.

Out of curiosity, looked up the Schneider 90mm f5.6 XL.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._XL.html/specs

*Front filter size 95mm.
    *Weight 665 grams.

Similar size-weight to the 90mm f4.5 Grandagon.
    Expect other 90mm f4.5 wide angle lens designs to be mostly similar in size and weight.

Bernice

Does anyone know if these lenses need a centre filter? thanks

Ronan, short answer, to the extent that users agree about this their consensus is that on 4x5 without movements a 90 can be used without a CF. If a 90 is shot straight ahead, 4x5's corners will be 1.5 stops down from the center. This is well within negative films' latitude. Displacements (rise/fall, shift) may make a CF necessary.

I see that you're a new member. This site has resources you may not have found yet. Visit the LF Home Page (button at upper left of this page) for FAQs and articles. Also see https://www.largeformatphotography.i...mainly)-lenses The first post in this discussion has links to pages and sites that may be useful to LF photographers. Of interest to you, it has a link to an article on center filters.

I have both SK90XL and Grandagon N 90/4,5 (no green stripe, but late serial number 109XXXXX). Apart from the obvious differences in image circle size, 259mm vs 236mm, filter size 95mm vs 82mm, 0 shutter vs 1 shutter, I can not stablish any difference when I see my chromes with a 5x loupe. Both are superb lenses. I use the SKXL for 5x7. The reason I have the SK90XL is that a colleage giftet it to me because he migrated to a digital back some years ago.
    I also have Green striped and no striped Grandagon N lenses, all of them serial numbers 109XXXXX and over and I canīt see any image quality difference in my chromes.
    If you shot cromes, I highly reccomend you the use of a center filter.