Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Faces and Places of Appalachia

Faces and Places of Appalachia

Although I'm not originally from Appalachia I was born in a tiny oil and coal town in Southern Illinois that was very much like where I grew up in East Tennessee. At the age of three my family moved us to Oak Ridge Tn which was known as the atomic city. Oak Ridge didn't exist until 1942 when it became a secret government site where the uranium was enriched for the two atomic bomb that ended WWII. We were atypical of the surrounding area in that we had more Phd's per capita than any other place in the US. Robert Oppenheimer and General Lesli Groves were two notable figures that headed the Manhattan Project and were frequently in Oak Ridge.

MY father was into photography and I became interested at the age of 5 watching him make images and process and print them. I started shooting with my mothers Anasco 620 box camera in 1953 and received my first Brownie at age 7 in 1955. I've always been fascinated with the Appalachian culture. landscape and people. Over the years I've documented the people and culture of the area and would like to share some of it with you.

The area has changed a great deal over the decades of my life. These images represent the old world of Appalachia, not the new. Most of these date to the late 60's through the 90's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 appalachian girls.jpg   barber central old city.jpg   Blue and White 617.jpg   can save.jpg  

Re: Faces and Places of Appalachia

More photo's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Junk Yard 1.jpg   Lawt Gudger.jpg   menonite boy.jpg   petros house.jpg  

A few faces from the early 70's. Were were taken in Petros TN in the coal mining area where the state maximum security orison was located. It was also the plan where James Earl Ray, Martin Luther Kings assassin, was housed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails petros kids 12.jpg   petros kids 14.jpg   petros kids 15.jpg   petros kids 26.jpg  

More from Petros.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails petros kids 19.jpg   petros kids 20.jpg   petros kids 25.jpg   petros kids 27.jpg  

A few more from Petros and surrounding area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails petros kids 28 A.jpg   petros kids 4.jpg   Baldwin 617.jpg   bad food.jpg  

A few more images from the surrounding area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails benny 31.jpg   Philadelphia 1.jpg   Philadelphia TN 617 3.jpg   Philadelphia TN 617.jpg  

A couple more images from the area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tobacco 1.jpg   produce stand.jpg   Morrow.jpg   Bunch 9.jpg  

Appalachian natives are some of the kindest people you'll ever meet but many have had very hard lives.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bulls gap A.jpg   Bunch 3.jpg   Orals.jpg   Loudon TN.jpg  

Just a few more for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sterchi's B&W 1.jpg   Peanut Boy  full frame 8 biit.jpg   grocery at clark range.jpg   Ferry TN River 5.jpg  

Drew Wiley

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing these.