Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about getting a Crown Graphic as a secondary 4x5 for hand-held shots

Re: Thinking about getting a Crown Graphic as a secondary 4x5 for hand-held shots

Sure seems like a lot of fun! I like that it packs down a bit better too. Of course, IF I can use my field camera for something then I will. So not sure how much I might use it in practice, perhaps aside from getting a Speed and finding barrel lenses (that seems like a ton of fun). I was out and about with my Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f/8 today and another thing I had thought about is making upgrading to an f/5.6 (like the Fujinon SWD 90mm). My favorite lens is my Fujinon 150 but the lens I seem to use the most is the 90.

Can't get both haha so I gotta choose carefully how I spend my money to appease my GAS!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Thinking about getting a Crown Graphic as a secondary 4x5 for hand-held shots

It is a lot of fun. But don’t consider it “a step down”. It might be “marching to a different drummer” but it’s a very capable way of image-making!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	217EFD1B-21CF-4325-9AB1-7B239CC377AA.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	203507

Oh yeah I definitely consider it quite capable! Takes up less room and would simplify my decision making too! I have been enjoying semi-ridiculous sorts of movements on my field camera. However, the shots I would want to take with a Greflax wouldn't really need the kinda thing (apart from maybe tilt, but if using the stock lenses, may not have much room for that anyway and I definitely would like a coupled RF).

There's a few shots I want to take of a river that has some nice bridges. The trouble is those bridges are often narrow and the amount of foot traffic is high - I don't think I can justify a tripod in those cases. I could rock a 35mm or say my Yashica Mat (though it's still off in repair-land) but if I want 4x5, pretty much would have to go with a hand-held option I think.

Not sure I understand any hesitation to getting another camera . . .Crown Graphic or other.

A photographer shouldn't need a defensible reason for acquiring another shooting outf
    it.

Crown Graphics were routinely used hand held for news/street photography. . . . but they are not the only option.

Another option, though less flexible, would be a TravelWide. A bit more sophisticated option would be one of the Polaroid conversions to 4x5.
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 9-May-2020 at 10:59.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!