Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Nesbitt view camera

John Nesbitt view camera

I once saw a John Nesbitt camera which I really liked, but can't find anything on him or his cameras. His he still alive and kicking and does anyone out there have a Nesbitt camera they want to part with.

John Nesbitt view camera

Hi "C". A few years ago (1980's era I think) John Nesbitt made wooden cameras here in (rainy) Wales, UK. He now (apparently) lives in France and no longer makes cameras. I have always wondered why people find his cameras so desirable? In my opinion they are heavy, cumbersome and are not great "users" - more suited for a display case? There is a "request" for one of his cameras on Ebay Uk at the moment.

John Nesbitt view camera

Hi,
    If you are interested in a really nice folder, made in the UK, contact Mike Walker. I have his 5x4 Titan FS and it is wonderful. Most importantly the film plane is perfectly on which goes far for crisp, sharp images. I have no affiliation..Evan Clarke

John Nesbitt view camera

Hi Paul,
    With all their problems I still can't help but like them. They're quite heavy but substancial, I do like a large solid view camera. I'm currantly using a Wisner which really suits me, I like layout, size and it's pleasing to the eye. The Nesbitt camera is one of those things which I saw and always wanted, it's becoming like searching for the holy grail.

John Nesbitt view camera

Hi Evan, I looked at the Walker cameras some time ago and they had a similar look to a Wista. My problem with Walker cameras is they're constructed from plastic, a material which I really can't stand. I remember my early days in photography when a Nikon was a Nikon rapped in a full metal jacket, and then they turned to plastic. I never looked at Nikon the same way again. Someone once told me Walkers early cameras were actually wood, but then production was switch to plastic for it's resistance to climate changes. I'm just really old fashioned and like traditional materials.

John Nesbitt view camera

Hi C, I used to own one and certainly recognise its charms. More arts and crafts than designer. If you are after an 8x10 Mr Cad has one advertised for a few months now. Be quick, I may re-consider and buy it myself. Only kidding!

John Nesbitt view camera

Hi,
    I have a 8x10 wooden field John Nesbitt that I am very pleased with and has given me plenty of joy in using it. I have some great 8x10 trannies and black and white produced using the camera. It may be cumbersome and heavy but it is certainly a great joy to use. There may be lighter and more precise 8x10 like the Ebony, but they have a price tag of a small family car. JN cameras were all hand built and Mr Nesbitt changed his design slightly from one camera to the other. So the 8x10 that I have is basically one-off and that is indeed very special to me.

Regards

Chong

Film and Darkroom User

John Nesbitt view camera

Hi,

Mr CAD in the UK is currently adverstising a 8x10 Nesbitt. I have not seen it though.

Barry

Film and Darkroom User

John Nesbitt view camera

Sorry Tony, I missed your post!

Barry

John Nesbitt view camera

Thanks for the info on the 10x8 Nesbitt camera Tony and Barry, I'll contact Mr CAD for more info, I've never seen a Nesbitt 10x8 before.