Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Midtone Machines - Automatic Film Processing Machine

Midtone Machines - Automatic Film Processing Machine

Hi all, I'm an engineer from New Zealand who is also a (recent) keen film photographer, starting with 35mm and moving up to a lovely Chamonix 4x5 field camera.

I've done a fair bit of home film development of various kinds and have spent some time talking to local photographers and small film lab owners. As a result of this I've decided to kick off a project to build and eventually market a new fully automatic film processing machine targeted at the hobby/light commercial market.

As part of this effort I've put together a quick website where I'll be posting regular updates of the progress of this project, and hopefully getting people interested and commenting/discussing so that we all end up with the best possible result.

So if this sounds like something that would interest you, the website is http://midtonemachines.com

Please go have a look, and subscribe/comment/share on social media if you'd like. I also intend to post updates into this thread as I go as well.

Re: Midtone Machines - Automatic Film Processing Machine

Good luck with the project!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Yes, good luck!

Many here shoot only sheet film.

For some this forum is the only social media.

I signed on for updates.
    Tin Can

Good luck, Andrew! To make sure that your efforts are well-targeted and that the feedback you get is informative and realistic, it will be helpful for you to explain in what ways, if any, you expect your device to differ functionally from alternatives currently available new - Jobo CPP3, Stark SST4/SST8, Filmomat, Heiland TAS - and roughly what price level you will be targeting.

Thanks for the comments so far, yes my next blog post will be coming in a few days (about to go on holiday for a few days so not much time to reply right now) and I'll hope to cover what the existing market/options are, what I've done to determine where the need is, what my plans and point of difference are and how I intend to go from here.

New blog post/update hopefully with some answers to questions people have:

On the Shoulders of Giants

Now for a large format specific question. Personally the only sheet film I shoot is 4x5 and only very recently. One of the things I really want this machine to do well is sheet film (specifically so I can process my own E-6, I don't think there's really anywhere in my country still doing E-6 sheet film processing). Can people link me to as many examples of rotary processing machine sheet film holders they know about? And if anybody has personal experience I'd love to know what works well about them and what doesn't. The more I know the better the chance that whatever I end up making will work!

How do you clean it after use? I'd think that would be the one thing were improvement over existing film processors could be achieved. In a "Lift" Jobo, each bottle needs to be rinsed with water after use, and 1 liter of water needs to be poured through the lift. With the Jobo, this additional step adds 30 seconds to my day. Can your device improve on that?

Good ideas!

I don't consider chemistry volumes a big deal. Dilution is good.

Are you sure you have considered all users and methods extant?

Some still shoot 8 and 16mm movie film. I don't. I did.

I use several ways to process sheet film.

The easiest is 2-1/4 X 3-1/4 inserted in a NIKOR 'waffle' hand inverted in a 120 tank. Up to 12 sheets. They even dry in the waffle. Perfectly processed. Daylight. See pic below.

I have Calumet Gas Burst SS tanks with a DIY regulator and timer. Hangers. 4 liters does up to 16-4x5, 8-5x7 and 4-8x10. Also Daylight with double light trap lids. Peaceful. You tube video.

11X14 is done one at time in open trays. Considering price of 11X14 film I am in no hurry. Sometimes X-Ray film under safelight.

I use a 4X5 NIKOR spiral rarely. But it does adjust to 3-1/4 X 4-1/4. I just ordered 200 sheets from China.

NOS NIKOR 2X3, I have 3 sets. In the right rear is a much older system that may have been for pack film. IDK

1-90-2x3 sheet film waffle by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Jobo Expert drums.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks for the replies so far, keep 'em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    How do you clean it after use? I'd think that would be the one thing were improvement over existing film processors could be achieved. In a "Lift" Jobo, each bottle needs to be rinsed with water after use, and 1 liter of water needs to be poured through the lift. With the Jobo, this additional step adds 30 seconds to my day. Can your device improve on that?
    One of the inputs to the machine would be water for rinsing/flushing (tap or deionised water depending on you preference). After the process is complete the machine would automatically clean itself by flushing water through the dev tank and pump. It's designed to suck in chemistry from whatever bulk container you'd like which wouldn't ordinarily require flushing after each use however if you wanted to change chemicals around there will be a full cleaning cycle that would flush water through all channels. All of these features would of course be fully automatic so you wouldn't need to do anything, just come back when it's finished.