Thread: Good choice for portraits and landscapes?

Good choice for portraits and landscapes?

Hi all,

I’m just starting with LF and have been reading a lot the last 14 days... I’m one of those all-in people and after consulting (on this forum), I ordered a Svedovsky 8x10. Of course I also need a lens (I know more will follow), and after more reading I decided to buy a Kodak Commercial Ektar 14”. I’m looking for lenses with “character”, meaning that I’m not a fan of the modern clinical look ( sharp doesn’t automatically mean ‘good’ in my book).
    Just wondering if I made a good choice and if there are other lenses you can recommend which have a distinct look? I primarily will shoot portraits and landscapes.

Thanks!

Filip

Re: Good choice for portraits and landscapes?

That should be a fine choice. It will be quite sharp, but maybe not as contrasty as a modern lens. I have one, it's good. If you want to try a soft focus too, get maybe a Kodak 405mm Portrait, or a Verito. Have fun.

Yes, I think you made a good choice.I too prefer older lenses which produce prints with character. Enjoy your time with LF. There will be pitfalls, but they can be overcome with thought and perseverance.

The 14 inch Ektar comes in an Ilex #5. I got a 20 inch Ilex f7 who was sent to skgrimes.com for mm-engraving for aperture, cla and two filter adapters. I can mount a diopter behind or behind and front. Maximum for the back is 72mm, so I got a +3 achromatic multicoated diopter with that diameter. Both the Kodak portrait lens and the Rodenstock soft focus are of similar design. Look up my out of focus pictures on Flickr. https://www.flickr.com/photos/470525...57634939838558

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Why begin LF with 8x10?

What are your print image goals, how will the 8x10 film be processes, then made into print(s) ?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by fwaeyten View Post
    Hi all,

I’m just starting with LF and have been reading a lot the last 14 days...

I ordered a Svedovsky 8x10.

Filip

The 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar was a favorite of Yousuf Karsh. He did all right with it!

https://karsh.org/overview/portraits/#thumbnails

To add to lenses others have mentioned, look at Cooke, Dagor, Heliar, Petzval, etcetera. There are a lot of great lenses out there!

If you have not seen this all ready, this is from the LF Home Page.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...rtrait-lenses/

Hi all,

I’m just starting with LF and have been reading a lot the last 14 days... I’m one of those all-in people and after consulting (on this forum), I ordered a Svedovsky 8x10. Of course I also need a lens (I know more will follow), and after more reading I decided to buy a Kodak Commercial Ektar 14”. I’m looking for lenses with “character”, meaning that I’m not a fan of the modern clinical look ( sharp doesn’t automatically mean ‘good’ in my book).
    Just wondering if I made a good choice and if there are other lenses you can recommend which have a distinct look? I primarily will shoot portraits and landscapes.

Thanks!

Filip
    The 12" and 14" Kodak Ektar and Commercial Ektar lenses are superb. You could do just about anything with an Ektar and never need another lens. Here is an example of an 8x10 glass collodion negative made with my 12" Ektar at f6.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Why begin LF with 8x10?

What are your print image goals, how will the 8x10 film be processes, then made into print(s) ?

Bernice
    I will do contact prints and want to do wet plate as well. The examples I have seen online of 8x10 appeal more to me than 4x5. I have considered all pro’s and con’s and I guess in the end 8x10 won

I will do contact prints and want to do wet plate as well. The examples I have seen online of 8x10 appeal more to me than 4x5. I have considered all pro’s and con’s and I guess in the end 8x10 won
    8x10 inch contact prints from film and collodion negatives are stunning. I think you know what you want, so you're on the right path. I look forward to seeing what you produce!