Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SINAR Norma: Now I get it!

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

SINAR Norma: Now I get it!

Wow! I'd read about how beautifully machined the Norma is. I bit the bullet, and ordered a few components. Rail first. Bellows from a local shop. Today, the Rear Standard arrived, and I couldn't believe just how nice this is. Super tight, well-conceived and executed. Sublime, is what comes to mind by way of that old saw of form meeting function just so.

I had wanted a solid studio camera. I started with my Intrepid 4x5, and it's great for what it is too. Really hits a sweet spot, IMHO. Location work, travel ease, gateway drug. But the Norma hits the studio spot.

Only problem now it that I must aspire to doing the Norma justice. A lifelong endeavor, I can tell.

Much thanks to all the Norma ambassadors.

Re: SINAR Norma: Now I get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Exploring Large Format View Post
    But the Norma hits the studio spot.
    We few, we happy few...

Great choice, but with a few tweaks, the Norma is eminently fieldable as well...here's a thread to get you started, but there are a couple of ways to skin that cat:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ma-8x10-Camera

Otherwise, a couple of other points:

1.) If you're in the market for a tripod head, the Sinar pan/tilt head really works well (as you might expect)...not nearly as heavy as it first appears, either.

2.) If you find yourself becoming "format curious," the move up to 5x7 shouldn't cost an arm and a leg (basically you're looking at a "format change" assembly--rear standard/DDS frame/bellows). It's still packable as well--I'm currently putting a lot of trail miles on my 5x7 kit--certainly a contender in the "bang for the buck" sweepstakes.

Majority of Sinar Norma's have never been properly cleaned-serviced-lubed. Very likely the original lubricants (no less than four decades now) are still in the camera, which has turned into clay by now.

If you're mechanically skilled and inclined, at the very least, take the Norma focus gear system apart, clean it really GOOD, then apply the proper lubricants, re-assemble, adjust properly. This guide could help you in this endeavor.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ar+norma+focus

The hardened lubricants can increase the control friction beyond what the systems are designed for which can cause a long list of problems. Until the Norma is properly clean-lubed-adjusted, it is not possible to appreciate how nice a proper Sinar Norma really is.

Norma is FAR more than just the camera in hand now, it is entry to the entire Sinar system as much of what Sinar made can be used with the Norma to Sinar P2.. Variety of bag bellows, standard bellows, as much bellows are you're willing by adding rails, front or support standards with front and read standards.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5x7 Norma & P2, bag bellows.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	202942

Not a lot of limitations on what lens can be used on a Sinar, not just the bellows limitations are mostly removed, it is the Sinar shutter that allows using a vey wide variety of Barrel lenses.

There are bellows shades, adjustable mask and lots more that impose very few limitations to creative image making.

Sinar, not just a view camera, it is a completely interchangeable system that spans decades of Sinar models and production.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Exploring Large Format View Post
    Wow! I'd read about how beautifully machined the Norma is. I bit the bullet, and ordered a few components. Rail first. Bellows from a local shop. Today, the Rear Standard arrived, and I couldn't believe just how nice this is. Super tight, well-conceived and executed. Sublime, is what comes to mind by way of that old saw of form meeting function just so.

I had wanted a solid studio camera. I started with my Intrepid 4x5, and it's great for what it is too. Really hits a sweet spot, IMHO. Location work, travel ease, gateway drug. But the Norma hits the studio spot.

Only problem now it that I must aspire to doing the Norma justice. A lifelong endeavor, I can tell.

Much thanks to all the Norma ambassadors.

Drew Wiley

It's my favorite Sinar, and nearly all my usage is in the field.

Yep, that applies much the same here Drew.

Indoor or similar stuff, Sinar P.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    It's my favorite Sinar, and nearly all my usage is in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Majority of Sinar Norma's have never been properly cleaned-serviced-lubed. Very likely the original lubricants (no less than four decades now) are still in the camera, which has turned into clay by now.

If you're mechanically skilled and inclined, at the very least, take the Norma focus gear system apart, clean it really GOOD, then apply the proper lubricants, re-assemble, adjust properly. This guide could help you in this endeavor.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ar+norma+focus

The hardened lubricants can increase the control friction beyond what the systems are designed for which can cause a long list of problems. Until the Norma is properly clean-lubed-adjusted, it is not possible to appreciate how nice a proper Sinar Norma really is.

Norma is FAR more than just the camera in hand now, it is entry to the entire Sinar system as much of what Sinar made can be used with the Norma to Sinar P2.. Variety of bag bellows, standard bellows, as much bellows are you're willing by adding rails, front or support standards with front and read standards.

Name:	5x7 Norma & P2, bag bellows.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	202942

Not a lot of limitations on what lens can be used on a Sinar, not just the bellows limitations are mostly removed, it is the Sinar shutter that allows using a vey wide variety of Barrel lenses.

There are bellows shades, adjustable mask and lots more that impose very few limitations to creative image making.

Sinar, not just a view camera, it is a completely interchangeable system that spans decades of Sinar models and production.

Bernice
    Thanks all for your responses. Bernice, I think I blame you most of all for your evangelism of the Norma. Blame in a good way.

The link to the CLA is fantastic. My only CLA-able piece, a rear standard, feels really flawless it seems despite a few very small nicks. Rise and fall could be a smidge more effortless, but I'll have more of a sense when I receive my front standard and multi-purpose standard.

On that point, I was thinking I'd use the multi-purpose and extra bellows as my lens shade in the studio. Couldn't find much about this. Much more about attempts to use the hex rod and many DYI notions for lightweight, field lens hood. Am I still barking up the right tree with the bellow and extra standard for studio or indoor location? Or am I missing something?

And, yes, I can begin to see how well the Norma could work in the field, but I'm still fixated on my Intrepid. Started walking (stalking?) the neighborhood to capture all the Covid-strollers. But yes, really good link to field packing the Norma. Thanks!

I totally get how the Norma could easily slide one into 5x7. One small step for a man.... We'll see.

But your photo, Bernice, of the two SINARs facing one another looks like some wild attempt to get the ultimate "barbershop effect" photo. Much thanks to all!!

CreationBear:

Yes, I may very well be in the market for a nice SINAR Pan/Tilt Head. I thought I'd wait till I get my Rail Clamp (any day now from a Forum member!) to check it out on my system. But again, there are so many boosters of the Pan/Tilt Head, how to resist?

Example of Norma to P2 compatibility. P2 front, Norma aux standard, Norma 5x7 rear standard, two bellows completely mixed vintage.
    That is a BIG brass lens, about the same weight or more than some folder-field cameras.

Name:	Sinar Norma_LG rail side.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	202980

RH side view:

Name:	Sinar Norma_LRR RH.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	202981

LH side view:

Name:	Sinar Norma_LR_FT.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	202982

Bernice

If the rail is cut down to just fitting the rail clamp ring, front & rear standards, the Norma becomes compact.
    This is how the 5x7 Norma is fitted into largest FAA approved carry on Pelican case with wheels.

To use, pull the Norma as presented in these two pictures, put the Norma on the rail clamp, add as many extensions front or back as needed, draw out the bellows as needed. The lens that lives on the Norma at this point is a 240mm f4.5 Schneider Xenar in barrel and Sinar shutter.

All very compact and sets up a LOT faster than a folder-field camera with near similar size & weight.

Name:	Sinar Norma_CRR.jpg 
Views:	109 
ID:	202983

Name:	Sinar Norma_front CR.jpg 
Views:	101 
ID:	202984

Simply do not believe the Norma is a "studio" camera as this is what can be done to shrink and make easy to transport the Norma.
    Plus, all the nice features of the Norma is ready as needed.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Example of Norma to P2 compatibility. P2 front, Norma aux standard, Norma 5x7 rear standard, two bellows completely mixed vintage.
    That is a BIG brass lens, about the same weight or more than some folder-field cameras.

Name:	Sinar Norma_LG rail side.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	202980

RH side view:

Name:	Sinar Norma_LRR RH.jpg 
Views:	119 
ID:	202981

LH side view:

Name:	Sinar Norma_LR_FT.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	202982

Bernice
    Nice mix and match.

And I've seen your, and other, references to 5x7 tapered bellows for 4x5 in order to reduce bellows flare. I am not really familiar with bellows flare. Similar to lens flare in sense of light entering from oblique angles and scattering inside, or how to describe? How would one define the circumstances for lens vs. bellows flare? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk