Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fred Picker

Re: Fred Picker

I own a Wisner Picker collaboration 4 x 5 camera.. it is really nice.

I have a Zone VI Lightweight tripod, it's been in the Atlantic and Gulf photographing architecture in shifting sands. And to plenty of mountain tops and desert hikes, I never had any issues with it at all. I have no idea why people think these are worthless?? I threw it over my shoulder (with a towel for a pad) and hiked extensively around this area, with 4x5 and occasionally with 8x10 Norma.

-Dan, who made it to the top of the Great Sand Dunes in SW Colorado with Norma 4x5 and ZVI tripod. Sunk down to my knees in the sand
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    And, yes, I've owned and happily used both of Zone VI's tripods.
    Same here! Until I became of an age where I couldn't lug around those tripods any longer, I used them extensively in all kinds of weather and environmental conditions and never had a single issue. I sill own both today, though I haven't used either in many years.

I have all Freds notes as many here do, I waited for each newsletter and learned much from them, At the time I was working in a commercial lab environment and these notes were a connection to a group or idea that was not prevalent in my day to day photographic life. I never took a workshop, I did not like the idea of being cooped up with a group I did not know, I still feel that way.
    If Fred was alive today I think he would be the king of the internet on every FB photo group that dealt with photographers, he would have made millions now.

Fred took a light weight tripod to Scott land and manage to back the rental car over the tripod the first day out. He was able to find wood and a pocket knife and make a new leg for it. If it was made of sometime else he would of been out of luck.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Dear all

I am a very contented owner of a Zone V1 4 x 5, the previous owner being one John Shiu from this Forum. John had clearly looked after this one extremely well, it remains in great shape. I bought it to replace a Wisner Traditional also in that size. The Wisner Trad was brand new, the Zone V1 was not, the Zone V1 happens to be far superior, far more rigid too. The Wisner tended to be looser on certain movements, I could never insert a film holder without removing the back as the rear standard no matter how much pressure that I applied to the relevant screw always moved. With the Zone V1 I have no worries at all

Good to hear that you are happy with your one Bob

regards

Andrew

I wanted to take his workshop but I was in college and funds were very low. A co-worker at a custom lab I worked at (FinePrint) suggested I buy the Zone VI workshop book in order to learn the Zone system. I still go to it when I feel in need of a refresher on some points and I have many Zone VI items. At one point he was selling a compensating timer for the enlarger (before he built his own). I recognized it as a rebadged Lektra timer we used in the custom lab - it made me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    Dear all

I am a very contented owner of a Zone V1 4 x 5, the previous owner being one John Shiu from this Forum. John had clearly looked after this one extremely well, it remains in great shape. I bought it to replace a Wisner Traditional also in that size. The Wisner Trad was brand new, the Zone V1 was not, the Zone V1 happens to be far superior, far more rigid too. The Wisner tended to be looser on certain movements, I could never insert a film holder without removing the back as the rear standard no matter how much pressure that I applied to the relevant screw always moved. With the Zone V1 I have no worries at all

Good to hear that you are happy with your one Bob

regards

Andrew
    I have never used it Andrew too pretty.... but I would like to wear it down... right now use a reducing back on a 8 x10 camera that was given to me by a member on this site.. Vindaloo Dave Wooten.. he just sent it to me from Vegas with holders and no question.. I love it.

Bob

I have and still use just about everything Zone VI made. It has all held up quite well. Speaking to Fred on the phone was always interesting, I could tell when I asked something stupid, at least to him, because the conversation would quickly end.

My camera was one of the first that Zone VI produced in house. There was a long delay in me getting the camera. Fred called me apologized for the problem and threw in six extra film holders when the camera arrived.

All, do you think Fred Picker would have embraced digital photography?