Thread: Does anyone use a Lee Filter System on a 4x5?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Does anyone use a Lee Filter System on a 4x5?

I have an Ektar f7.7 203mm On a Graphic View. The lens is very small diameter, about 33mm o.d., and I’m wondering if graduated filters will work on it. If not how big of a lens will I need, and give me a few examples. My current lens has no threads so I may have to make a bracket of some sort to attach the filter holder, that is if I can use GND filters with it at all.

Re: Does anyone use a Lee Filter System on a 4x5?

I have just started to experiment with this. Using my Lee Seven5 system with my 300mm with a 52mm filter thread. Not as small as your lens though. Haven’t developed the shots yet to compare, but look forward to doing that during this weekend. I do have an adapter that slips over the lens hood on my MF 6x6 that came with a yellow grad filter and that’s a pretty small lens. So I’m sure the grad will work to some extent on your lens. One problem I think might cause a problem would be the intensity of the grad line and the larger format, as the seven5 was bought for my digital x100f which died on me after a little over a year of service. Gotta love these old view cameras that out last all the newer stuff.

-Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1two View Post
    I have just started to experiment with this. Using my Lee Seven5 system with my 300mm with a 52mm filter thread. Not as small as your lens though. Haven’t developed the shots yet to compare, but look forward to doing that during this weekend. I do have an adapter that slips over the lens hood on my MF 6x6 that came with a yellow grad filter and that’s a pretty small lens. So I’m sure the grad will work to some extent on your lens. One problem I think might cause a problem would be the intensity of the grad line and the larger format, as the seven5 was bought for my digital x100f which died on me after a little over a year of service. Gotta love these old view cameras that out last all the newer stuff.

-Mikey
    Hi Mikey,

You could post one of your shots here if you like. I sure would like to see your results. You have a much larger lens than me and smaller filter size but still am interested. I asked Alex Burke about my situation and he said

You might have to get crafty making the filters fit, but even though the lens has such a small front element you'd probably be surprised that the soft edge filter actually works - if you can mount it.
    There is a place on top of my front standard that has a threaded screw. I need to design something and use that as the mounting point. I also have a hood that clamps to my lens. If I sacrifice it, I maybe able to glue a lee 58mm adapter to it.

I just bought a 4x5 field camera for one of my daughters. Included was a Lee system to fit one of the lenses. I threw it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I just bought a 4x5 field camera for one of my daughters. Included was a Lee system to fit one of the lenses. I threw it away.
    That's some sick humor there Jim.

I use the wide angle hood and 100x150mm filters, mostly NDs. It's a bit difficult to see where the ND ends on the GG, still working on getting it right. My smallest filter thread size is 49mm, I have several adapter rings to fit different lenses.

Not sure how that would fit on a Graphic with the front bed there, maybe ok?

Use Seven5 on 4x5 and 100mm system on all larger formats.

I find Lee filter holders, rings, and filters cost prohibitive. Instead, I bought one set of 77mm B+W filters and use step-up rings for all my MF and LF lenses. The B+W filters are much higher quality and the step-up rings cost like $7 per lens. Way cheaper than a Lee system and better optical quality.

I considered that, but have up to 95mm threads on some of my Rollei Schneider lenses, and finding a Bay VI to 95mm step up never resulted in anything useful. Since I had so many filters already in either Bay VI or Bay III (for the TLR), I figured a few ND's and a Lee hood would compliment what I already had. Most of my Bay VI and 95mm filters are B+W and I agree on your assessment of their optical quality.

Quote Originally Posted by giganova View Post
    I find Lee filter holders, rings, and filters cost prohibitive. Instead, I bought one set of 77mm B+W filters and use step-up rings for all my MF and LF lenses. The B+W filters are much higher quality and the step-up rings cost like $7 per lens. Way cheaper than a Lee system and better optical quality.

Quote Originally Posted by sruddy View Post
    I have an Ektar f7.7 203mm On a Graphic View. The lens is very small diameter, about 33mm o.d., and I’m wondering if graduated filters will work on it. If not how big of a lens will I need, and give me a few examples. My current lens has no threads so I may have to make a bracket of some sort to attach the filter holder, that is if I can use GND filters with it at all.
    Stuffy, I suggest if you already have a nd grad that you plan on using, to try a few shots with one attached to the lens before going through the trouble to make an attachment. This guy used a couple rubber bands to hold a filter on his lens
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diy-neutral-density-filter.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	203985
    If it turns out you are satisfied with the results then you could use what others have mentioned like the step-up rings to build onto, say a LEE Seven5 system (Grad filters are more flexible in that system rather than a good set of larger circular filters. You may not always want the transition line in the middle of your shot.) All you will have to worry about would be attaching the smallest (equal to or slightly bigger) step-up ring to your lens. Maybe a small piece of hose a diameter that allows for both your lens and the smallest step-ring. Or better yet, start with a couple step-up rings that are slightly bigger than you lens. That way it has more support and line the inside with felt tape so it fits snuggly. IDK, but keep in mind the overall weight, you would defiantly want that supported.
    Here is the one I use on my MF. Slips over the lens hood nice and snug.
    The choice is yours and will depend on your shooting style.

-Mikey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7863F479-BBC3-41E2-B345-5ECF0AAD06E5.jpeg