Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about nominal vs. effective aperture for LF close-up work in a studio.

Re: Questions about nominal vs. effective aperture for LF close-up work in a studio.

OP, if you haven't bought the closeup photography books by Lester Lefkowitz and H. Lou Gibson mentioned in "the list" please get them and study them. Gibson makes the point in text and with example photographs that stopping down can reduce DoF. I've seen this myself at high magnifications. You're probably not going to work at magnifications high enough for this to be a bad problem, but you should be aware of it and of the ways in which the rules of thumb we rely on when shooting at normal distances fail close up.

Re: Questions about nominal vs. effective aperture for LF close-up work in a studio.

My thanks for these additional helpful posts #8-11. As I mentioned in my OP, I am not sure what levels of magnification I will be most commonly working at, but assume it will vary and I will experience the challenges with DOF that all of you have described your experiences with.

Regarding posts #8-10 on DOF: I double-checked my iPhone "DOF Calculator" app and found it doesn't take into account level of magnification; and the other similar apps I (briefly) explored at Apple's App Store were likewise, so per your comments those won't help me. However, the "table" I have is Linhof's Universal DOF Chart, which does take into account "reproduction ratio" (i.e., at levels of 1:1, 1:1.5, 1:2, 1:3, 1:4, 1:6, 1:10, 1:20 and 1:infinity) and "extension difference" in millimeters when focusing on the nearest vs. furthest important portions of the intended subject. This Chart then gives you the "working aperture" that will provide the DOF to encompass those near to far subject details. As it so happens, I have a 4x5in Linhof Kardan Master GTL studio camera that allows one to easily determine the "extension difference," so I anticipate putting this Chart to work as I proceed on my still life journey. The Chart even has a little 5cm ruler (with mm increments) printed along one of its page edges to help you determine the level of magnification if you put the chart (with ruler) into your still life composition. My Kardan Master GTL camera also came with useful "Use Instructions" and "Practical Hints for View Camera Users" Manuals, and the latter especially includes some helpful tips for addressing DOF issues in close-up work.

Re post #11: I have closely read/studied my copy of Lester Lefkowitz's book, and will seek to acquire HL Gibson's book -- thank you, Dan, for these recos.

Net/net, I'm looking forward to this new type of LF photography and its learning curve.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

I still use my old Weston Master II to quickly compute this factor. Much faster and at least as accurate as a phone.