Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aspherical lenses availability

Aspherical lenses availability

Hello, I am a newbie in the matter of large format photography and I would like to replace my 150mm lens with an aspherical one, since I am experiencing distorion to my images.
    I did my research and as far as I could find out, the only aspherical lenses with copal shutter were made by Schneider Kreuznach (series Super Symmar XL).
    Those series are now discontinued and I am having trouble to find good alternatives and good offers on Ebay (I live in EU).
    Can you suggest me any alternative to the Super Symmar XL for my 4x5" camera? Did I get it wrong that Schneider Kreuznach Super Symmar XL are the only aspherical lenses available?
    Thank you and have a nice time.

Re: Aspherical lenses availability

First, what kind of distortion are you experiencing? That doesn't sound right. Any good lens should have virtually none.

Second, if you really do have a oerceivable distortion problem, in a general way apo process lenses won't have any, some more than others, and they'll be a lot cheaper. There's even a special apo-Artar for mapmaking with virtually no distortion at all.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I suspect you are experiencing distorsion only on three-dimensional subjects? If so, change to a longer lens and move backwards to avoid it.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Thank you all for the hints. I am not able to say which kind of distortion. I assume it is spherical aberration, since it happens in particular in the the peripheral part of the frame. I even wonder whether I am doing something wrong with the camera controls... As I said, I am a newbie.
    I have attached one shot where the subject (tower) appers wonky and the shpere is stretched (low res compressed jpg). Lens: Schneider Kreuznach Symmar-S 150mm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image_17.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	202863
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image_8.jpg  

Lots of lenses use at least one aspherical element. Check the Apo Sironar W and S series from Rodenstock.

OP, you have slight barrel distortion. This is an off-axis aberration that can be reduced by stopping down.

What lens(es) did you use to take those pictures? What aperture(s) did you shoot at?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    I suspect you are experiencing distorsion only on three-dimensional subjects? If so, change to a longer lens and move backwards to avoid it.

Yes, I was right Alternative way to avoid this is to move camera to have the three-dimensional subject closer to center. This will happen with any lens and at any aperture as long as you put it out there. It will look even worse when the subject is a face of a person

Thank you, I will search. IŽve never considered Rodenstock, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    OP, you have slight barrel distortion. This is an off-axis aberration that can be reduced by stopping down.

What lens(es) did you use to take those pictures? What aperture(s) did you shoot at?
    I used a Schneider Kreuznach Symmar-S 150mm, I shot at f/16 1/15 sec., due to windy weather condition.
    Thanks for the tip, IŽll try to stop down.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    Yes, I was right Alternative way to avoid this is to move camera to have the three-dimensional subject closer to center. This will happen with any lens and at any aperture as long as you put it out there. It will look even worse when the subject is a face of a person

I see. So this will happen regardless of using a aspherical lens specifically designed to avoid such distortions?
    I had no idea, thank you.