Quote Originally Posted by jmontague View Post
Steve, I read your article and plan on giving this a try. I use your EMA process for my negatives with great success and have no reason to believe that this will provide similar results.

I am still rather new to this art form so this question may be obvious to everyone but me. Do you flash before exposing through the negative or after? I assume this is done before, but hope you will confirm this.

I know that some feathers have been ruffled in this thread, but I always discover new things to try. If they work for me, I keep them. If not, I still learn something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Jim for the kind words.
In answer to your question, you can flash either before or after the exposure as been made with the negative. All flashing does is add a predetermined amount of light so that the threshold of the paper is met and all light thereafter should have nearly immediate impact in creating tone. One thing I did not go into simply because I did not want to further confuse the issue is, almost always I tried my best to direct the flashing light to the most dense areas where it has the most impact. After I have completed all print manipulations I'll use a dry erase pen at the very edge of the paper on two sides. Extending lines inward from those two dots, where the lines intersect is the center of the area I wish to impact with the flashing light. Once the flashing is complete the print goes to the developer and I quickly rub off the water soluble Dry Erase marks so full development happens right out to the edge of the print.

Enjoy your time in the Dark